Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 21st, 2011, 10:19 PM

Allergic reactions?

Hi there,

I have a 1 1/2 year old mixed breed dog who has recently broken out in bumps. I first noticed them Monday night; I had been at work all day and a friend had taken him and my other dog for a hike.
I was looking over at him and noticed he had small lumps all over his head, on his eyelids, around his mouth, and upon closer inspection, on his back legs as well.
I gave him 50mg of a generic benadryl (he weighs 65lbs) and it helped almost immediately.
The next day the bumps had reappeared. I gave him some more benadryl, and again it helped. The next day they had come back again, and I took him to the vet. She said it was definitely an allergic reaction, and that I had to pinpoint the source and keep giving benadryl.
I went home and washed everything, he got a bath, vacuumed, etc. The next day the bumps had clustered on top of his nose and in the afternoon began oozing clearish blood. That was yesterday and today it is worse. I called the vet and she said to keep giving benadryl, but it has stopped working, besides making him drowsy. Any suggestions of what it could be? I was thinking a bug bite or sting, but I haven't seen any pictures that are similar...
Any help would be appreciated!

ps- I've attached photos...the first is before I took him to the vet on Wednesday, the second is from this evening.
Attached Images

Old May 21st, 2011, 10:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Your dog looks like our Ridge did when she had folliculitis. I did a thread on it--see if it looks the same: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48242

If that's what it is, he's going to need some antibiotics and pain meds. Is there a vet you can see tomorrow? If it's folliculitis like Ridge had, it's going to progress quickly without antibiotics.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:34 PM

That does look much like it.
Jackson had lumpy non bleeding swelling in more areas for a couple of days first...did Ridge have that as well?
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes she did. A couple days before the oozing started she had just a few localized lumps. The next day (the day before the bleeding began) she started showing more lumps and the skin started looking very red.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM
Doggie Wench

Aw, poor baby . Hope you can get in to see the vet tomorrow, aj . Please let us know how it goes.