Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 13th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Air Canada's pet ban plan partly nixed

Thought some members would like this.

Every once in a while somebody finds the owners of Pets.ca (Dave or Me) and asks us for an opinion. And hey, everybody's got an opinion right?

Here's the short article and the original link:
http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/235463

Air Canada's pet ban plan partly nixed

Jul 13, 2007 04:30 AM
Simona Siad
Staff Reporter

Family pets still have time to collect Air Canada air miles, at least on international flights.

The Canadian Transportation Agency suspended an application filed by Air Canada looking to bar pets from its baggage compartments Wednesday afternoon, effectively delaying the controversial application on international flights for the time being.

"An official complaint was filed on June 22 by Mr. Peter T. Griffiths that prompted the investigation," said Jadrino Huot, Senior Communications Advisor of Canadian Transportation Agency.

The suspension affects flights between Canada and the U.S. as well as other international flights to and from Canada. Pets will still not be allowed on Air Canada domestic flights starting July 15 since the Canadian Transportation Agency does not have jurisdiction to take similar action with regards to domestic routes. Pets will have to travel through its cargo division.

"We will respond to the CTA on this matter," said Isabelle Arthur, spokesperson for Air Canada

"Air Canada will have to submit evidence to us within the next 30 days (about) why they think their proposed amendments to discontinue animals as checked baggage on international flights is reasonable, just and not unduly discriminatory," said Huot.

Marko Kulik, administrator and owner of pets.ca, a Canadian pet-lovers site, said his website has been inundated with angry pet owners questioning the new policy.

"I think a lot of people will be likely to make other airline choices," said Kulik.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Frequent Traveller

Dear Marko,
We (2 and 4-legged family members) fly overseas frequently and always use Air Canada. We have flown pets into and out of the Middle East and are now located in England. The pets went as excess baggage ($150.00 each) on the mid-East flights (2 layovers) and at no point where the animals given any water or special treatment.
We went through. and paid for the Pet Travel Scheme programme to get the animals into England. Due to the Pet Travel Scheme Air Canada said the animals had to go to England as 'live animal cargo'. There were certain flights on certain days they preferred we travel with the pets on. Air Canada did not make the arrangements for the animals to get taken into the DEFRA care at Heathrow, I did via telephone and email. Air Canada charged us $5200.00 based on weight of each animal and the amount of space their 'approved' crates take up. When we landed I located the Air Canada representative and asked for details on my pets, the person had no idea there were any pets on board and never got back to me.
Air Canada Toronto and Montreal have assured that they could be brought back to Canada as excess baggage. Now I read in the newspapers Air Canada wants to change the pricing structure. I am wondering on what basis....our experience has been there is no change in the care received by pets or owners if the rate is excess baggage or live animal. I am not shipping horses or zoo animals just dogs and cat.
I appreciate anything you do about this money grab. I will be watching the news and this site to see what happens.
Thank you
Susan
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Way to go Marko! I don't fly with my pets (only because I don't fly), but if I did, they would have to be on the same plane as me. I bet WestJet will continue to allow pets and will be more than happy to pick up some of Air Canada's animal loving passengers.
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Young at Heart

Good for you, Marko! But, given Air Canada's obvious wish to not be involved with animals, why don't people just use West Jet? They truly care about the animals they ship and have no hangups about handling them.

Unfortunately, West Jet doesn't have as many destinations as Air Canada but if everyone flew WestJet with their animals, perhaps Air Canada would change...
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanM View Post
Unfortunately, West Jet doesn't have as many destinations as Air Canada but if everyone flew WestJet with their animals, perhaps Air Canada would change...
For now, they don't have as many destinations, but like most Albertan companies, they are hungry for expansion!