Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:45 PM

Lucky (NDG - Montreal) needs a new home

Hi there,

We are moving to Toronto in a little less than a month, and as a result we are forced to give up our beloved pet, 4-year old Lucky. He found us a couple years ago, starved, cold and alone, and we took him in, keeping him in our garage (I'm terribly allergic to cats), feeding him, and keeping him warm for now almost 3 years. He has been a joy to know with his warm, friendly and extremely (!!) chatty personality. He is much loved in our neighbourhood, and he is always up for a chat or a good rub.

Please let us know if interested. I can send you pictures, or maybe you would just like to stop by for a visit? We work out of our house and are therefore home the whole day.

It would mean the world to us if we could find him a new home. He is a cute cat, and no doubt would make a new family very happy and proud.

Thank you for your attention!

Alex Hylke
NDG - Montreal

** removed email address

Last edited by White Wolf; October 16th, 2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:49 PM

Picture of Lucky

Here's a picture of Lucky, the cute
Attached Images

Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Is there a reason why you can't take him to Toronto?

I can post his pic on my Petfinder site for you, if he is neutered. Let me know!
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:28 AM

Unhappy Lucky

We can't take him to Toronto because we will be living in an apartment building, and I am allergic to, well, ALL animals. We kept him here because we have a garage where he can stay, and since we don't have a car he pretty well had all that space to himself. We let him in and out of the garage during the winter, and during the summer he hangs around our house -- only letting him in the garage if he wants to go. We feed him daily. We have tried to get others to take him in our neighbourhood, but regretably nobody is able to take him on -- which is a shame.

Also, he is not neutered. But I am very willing to spend pretty well anything to give him a chance at a new home. I just want to know he can get a new home before we actually do that to him. Would be silly to neuter him, and then 2 weeks later put him to sleep. But I want to do all the shouting and screaming I can for him to see if he can get a new family before we have to walk down the heavy path of getting him put to sleep.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Go to Petfinder At the top of the page, click "Shelters and Rescues".

When that window opens, put Quebec where it asks for State.

Try contacting all the rescues on that list, maybe one can help.

We have no one willing to foster for us, or we would take your cat. Perhaps one of the others have a spot open.
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Lucky

I followed your advice and we contacted all the shelters. Unfortunately they are all very much booked, and aren't able to take him.

Oh well, at least we were able to give him a few good years. If we hadn't taken him in when we did, he would have surely starved. But still, it's such a shame to have him put to sleep.

Thanks for the help though, and good luck with all the other cats in your hands. It's such a tough situation out there for pets. Hope it gets better in the future.
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:07 PM

More pictures

I just thought I would put up a few more pictures.

Lucky is not fixed, but we will GLADLY pay and have him fixed if you will take him. We will do it and deliver him shiny and spotless and perfect We will even have him de-clawed if need be.

Truth is, I would LOVE to keep him, but I am allergic, and I quite frankly don't want to give him a life of living in a garage anyway. We are moving, and won't have the luxury of a garage, so either way we have to find him a new home -- or bring him to the SPCA.

Please call ********** if interested. Would love to hear from you!

Fingers crossed. Two weeks before we move!
Attached Images

Last edited by White Wolf; October 16th, 2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I would love to take him but I am in Indiana rather far drive for you. I hope you find him a good home he is such a handsome boy. My Crybaby would love him and that would give him a play mate. I am trying to figure out if I want to get him a kitten or a cat from the shelter. I have been cat sitting for this kitten and he goes home in a few days and Crybaby loves him to death and I am afraid that he is going to miss the company!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 10th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry,but you are showing us these great pictures of a very pretty cat and then telling us he is going to be put down,,how very sad for this poor little guy
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Lucky

We are also very sad about the situation, but we have done everything in our power at this point to find him a family, and actually we have been doing that since he found us -- coz he's a stray we have been feeding and housing in our garage.

Oh well, I gave it a last shot through this forum. I understand that it is really hard to find family's for stray cats, but I owed it to him to give it a shot.

Thanks for your interest everyone. Keep fighting for the pets out there!!
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Hylke,believe me,if i could take him I would,but I already have 3 cats
Kudos to you for caring for him,too bad he could not become a family-pet.
One suggestion,why do you not have him neutered,bring him to Toronto Humane Society when you move,he would have a better chance of survival there than Montreal Spca,as I've heard,they are a regular slaughter-house,give the cats 3 days,if that
He deserves a chance at being part of a family,not be killed!
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Cant you get on allergy medicine????
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Choco four cats is not a bad number you could always use one more!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 11th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Princess,Choco is Aggies Pointer,I am Chico,or I should say my cat is
We actually had enough with 2 cats,but then we had to take little Vinnie a foundling.
A fourth cat is out of the question,my two have still not completely recovered from getting Vinnie
I would take every abused,neglected,unloved animal in the world if I could
Old June 11th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Alex,I should also mention,if you just dump him at the Montreal SPCA,chances are as a "stray"he might end up in a lab somewhere and if you care about him,I am sure you don't want that.
There are private shelters,with fostercare,since the MSPCA has a terrible reputation,but I don't know,there are others here who do.
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We will do it and deliver him shiny and spotless and perfect We will even have him de-clawed if need be.
Unfortunately, we don't have a place to deliver him to, or I would take him right away. We do not allow declawing.

Would you be willing to bring him to the giant Pet Fair on June 26 & 27, in Cartier, near Pointe Claire?? Orange cats are very popular and it might be worthwhile to bring him. You can put him under our Lucky Rescue banner, if the founder of our rescue agrees.

In the meantime, since you are willing to have him neutered, I will list him on my Petfinder site, and keep our fingers crossed!!

What have you done so far to try and get him a home?
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Update

We have done everything in our power to get him a new home. We've called every shelter in town, and spoken to all neighbours, family and friends. The problem is that he is a stray and have lived outside for a very long time. We tested to see how he would react to coming inside, just for a bit, and he refused. When we finally lurred him in, he wanted out -- and FAST. And this is despite the fact that he knows us and trusts us.

We are moving on the 24th and therefore won't be able to attend the pet event with our cat. We also can't bring him to Toronto. For one I am allergic. And second of all I wouldn't know how to bring him. We are spending a few nights in a hotel before our stuff arrives by moving truck. No place for a cat there. Our funds are spent, so it would have to be a close to free solution.

Oh well, we'll keep nagging our neighbours. Maybe one will bite!

I am packing up my computer, so I won't be able to respond to messages on here for a while. But thanks for all your suggestions nonetheless. I'll keep searching for a solution out there. But know that I don't want to call the SPCA either!!! It's a shame all the no-kill shelters are booked solid. They would have been my first choice!

Alex
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Our vet refuses to take him, but I'm still trying. Another rescue says they may be able to find a foster home, but have not so far.

Can you email me your tel# since you will have no computer and I may need to get in touch with you.

We get cats (including mine) who have never been inside a house in their lives and who are completely feral. They are doing just fine living indoors.
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:23 PM

I know that you are allergic, but why can't you take an allergy med such as reactine for a day or two and transport him to Toronto with you in a kennnel?
Just wondering, this is what I did when moving from Alberta to Ontario(33.5hours in a Uhaul). The cats spent the night in a hotel with us(brought a litter box)
Old June 19th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Are you still here?? You didn't send me your tel# as requested, and now I have someone who wants to meet Lucky!!!
Old June 19th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Lucky,I guess Lucky is not so lucky,since she did not bother giving you a phonenumber
Old June 19th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Yay!

Lucky is now staying with my wife's sister at their farm, and they have agreed to keep him. We brought him up in my brothers car (long ride, and not very pleasant, but he's okay). They already have 3 cats there, but he will be fixed (we're paying for it) and that should put an end to all of this and give him a great home for life. Initially they refused to take him (already having 3 cats) but the right amount of nagging paid off, hehe. BEST thing is we can still see him when we visit them. I am soooo happy about that, too.

Thank you for all your concern and interest in Lucky. He sends his thanks )
Old June 19th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I"m glad he's going to be neutered finally. The "point" of neutering is to keep your cat from creating any more unwanted kittens who usually end up being dumped, and to keep them home and free of battle scars, abcesses and disease.