Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 18th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Long Term Member

VENT about my ANIMALS (*Long and whiney*)

Well this is about Shyla... well its about ALL MY animals.

I guess this is gonna sound a bit negative but oh well...
I don't know if I should even have pets... they
seem bored, Shyla is always on her chain when shes outside
(I watch her and all that I ALREADY explained so please DONT talk
about the chain... if you feel the need to PLEASE PLEASE PM me.)
And she hates to play in the grass, when Pepper is around Shyla fights
with other dogs, when hes not around shes scared of them and just
tries to hide from them :sad: so whats the point of even taking her to
the stupid dog park ANYWAYS?? She hates it. She doesn't like toys anymore,
I mean she'll take a few toys but for the most part she doesnt like them...
She sits around on the deck if she's on her chain, she doesn't WANT to go in the grass, she doesn't WANT to play with Pepper, she wants to play with SOMETHING (like a human but of course that doesn't work out...) and shes so f****** scared of other dogs WHAT CAN I DO? She's so playful, but I can't play with her, Im not a DOG and she can't bite me or win a game from me or else she's gonna think shes the boss according to all the vets and books. SHE WANTS TO HAVE FUN. Pepper is older, he doesn't play the same as her. I want to extend her chain but she'll end up hanging herself on the stupid fence trying to leave (DONT EVEN GO THERE PLEASE) IM SO FRUSTERATED and SAD! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO...

Pepper, he doesn't use the yard. I see all these awesome posts about making this cool yard for your dog, or putting a 'dirt box' in your yard with toys in it for your dog to play in. Frankly I can't do it and I don't think Shyla or Pepper would give a ***** anyways, they wouldn't dig in it, they'd just crap in it. Then whats the use of that. Pepper doesn't care, I don't know what the heck they do all day, lie around when they're inside lie around when they're out... He barks at the other dogs. He hates other dogs, he bit someone (PLEASE DONT LECTURE ME ON WHAT TO DO ABOUT THAT, I ALREADY HAVE help with that... so again IF you want to talk to me about it PM ME...)
HES A GRUMPY dog sometimes. He's afraid of men... he barks... what do I do?

I don't know, the yard sucks... its a grassy yard it has tree's. WE have a deck and a *****ty fence and two dogs who are socially screwed...
I have a hedgehog, he sleeps all day like any frigen hedgehog would and whats the point if he sleeps all day?? My degu has problems with his teeth because he refused to chew on the wood we gave him (I DONT WANT ANY SUGGESTIONS DONT EVEN PM ME OK!!) NOw we'll have to pay a vet bill... and I doubt theres anything the vet can do... (k I need 2 ask- his teeth are curved into his mouth, can the vet fix it?? Im so scared to even ASK)
And if theres nothing then we have to put my baby down...
IM MAD, IM SAD, IM SCARED and Im downright out of ideas...

sorry, not trying to be rude... just venting. if you take it personally don't post back, PM me if you feel the need to complain about my feelings...
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:42 PM
banned user

Quote:
please DONT talk about the chain
Quote:
PLEASE DONT LECTURE ME ON WHAT TO DO ABOUT THAT
Quote:
I DONT WANT ANY SUGGESTIONS DONT EVEN PM ME OK
Quote:
(DONT EVEN GO THERE PLEASE)
Um, what DID you want us to respond to?
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Long Term Member

nothing... i just needed to vent... im really sorry i shouldnt even have but I just dont know what to do. I did ask a question... in there somewhere about my degu...
ITs just that Im sick of getting jumped on when I talk about having my dog outside or having to chain her up b/c she will run away if I dont and she needs time outside...
Im so sorry... I just really wanted to get it out...
nobody even had to reply. I just dont know what to do...
I mean.... well- do I do something wrong??
I feel like I am......
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:48 PM

First of all, I'm an NOT going to climb all over you for your post. I think ALL pet owners have days like that! I know I do.

Don't feel so guilty that your dogs are more then happy to lay around being lazy.... most of them spend the majority of their time doing just that...even in the wild. It's conserving energy for when they really need it. Dogs didn't evolve to be running around all the time....just quick, fast burst of speed to catch dinner was all that was required, and then a nice looooong nap to digest it.
The only thing I can think to change what you're already doing is maybe a full kennel in the yard?? They can be costly, but, it eliminates the chain and if you cover it, your dog can't climb out and escape You could also maybe take the younger dog out biking or roller blading (if she's well leash trained) to burn off her excess "play with me" energy?
The degu, well, I believe they are like most rodent type animals and the teeth must be worn down as they continually grow..... so, if he's not chewing on the wood you gave him, your vet should be able to grind them down on a regular basis to keep him in tip top form. Don't worry too much about it..... i'm sure you won't have to put him down
I had 2 hedgehogs a few years ago. They were cute, but that's about it. They sleep all day, and stay up all night making noise and being hedgehogs. That's a part of the territory for nocturnal animals.... You could maybe try to change their days and nights using solar lamps at night and keeping them in a dark room during the daytime??? If it worked, you could spend time with them in there during the day.... who knows??
Anyway, I hope tomorrow is a better day for you and your pets..... remember "chin up love" They love you no matter what!
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Long Term Member

Thanks for that! It made me feel better.

The thing about my degu's teeth, though, is that they are like an ingrown toe nail sort of (we didn't catch it.... I mean who could?? He was eating fine, I just realized today... I don't check his teeth every day... he might bite me... and why stress him out?)
Anyways... so they are curled up right into his mouth- I don't think a vet will want to waste his time with that... will they? :sad:
Old June 18th, 2005, 10:02 PM

I'd say you're paying for the vets time, and if it's something he can fix with alittle sedative and a dremel tool..... he'd want to waste the time.
Degu's need love too! If that vet isn't interested, then find another one who will do it.
Old June 18th, 2005, 10:10 PM

When it comes to an animal in pain, it's never a waste of time for a vet. I'd try to go to an exotic vet though.

As for your pets, it's hard sometimes when your pets and you just don't "click". When you don't have that bond between you and your doggies, it's hard to see the point and to see how either of you can have a good life when something is missing. I had a lab that I didn't click with. We both only loved each other when there was no one else around (and had no other choice). She knew she wasn't my doggy, and so did I. I took care of her, paid for her and everything else, but I never fully understood her or knew if she was happy or not...

All I can say is these doggies probably have a much better life than most doggies around. They laze around, while other dogs are being beaten or dragged behind cars. If a dog is bored, you'll know (go see the thread about the Mal who keeps escaping).

I hope I got out of your post the right stuff to comment on... Maybe you have a wicked bond with your doggies, but I just got the sense that it wasn't the case.
Old June 18th, 2005, 10:14 PM
banned user

For the Degu, yes, I believe the vet will care! They take care of rabbits who have over growing teeth, I;d expect them to take care of any animal.
I' sorry if I made your day owrse in the other thread with the diseases of hedgehogs, didn't know you were having ab ad day.

But everyone has days like this, you're a great mommy to the furbabies.
I like the suggestion by wjranch to get a large kennel area for the yard that you can cover so that Shyla can still run (I Just saw a 10' by 12' by 6' at TSC)

There are afew things you said not to tal kabout in our replies, this question i *think* is safe one, if not, let me know, I'll remove it; Has Shyla always been afraid of the grass?
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:29 AM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

I had a dwarf hamster that had the same problem with teeth, The vet did file her teeth. Cost me about $20.

You have 6 plus animals in your house at any one time, and you work two jobs - one job being very stressful (Cop). Without sounding rude, do you have the time to devote to each and every one of them?
Perhaps Shyla is just jealous - she has to stay outside, and your other pets get to be inside with you.
Old June 19th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Long Term Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safyre
There are afew things you said not to tal kabout in our replies, this question i *think* is safe one, if not, let me know, I'll remove it; Has Shyla always been afraid of the grass?
Its not really that she's scared of the grass, its more that she doesn't want to go on it. It could be because of the water on it because she hates getting her feet wet...
Old June 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Long Term Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG
You have 6 plus animals in your house at any one time, and you work two jobs - one job being very stressful (Cop). Without sounding rude, do you have the time to devote to each and every one of them?
Perhaps Shyla is just jealous - she has to stay outside, and your other pets get to be inside with you.
A- I am training to be a cop, so I'm not there all the time... and the other is part time. Shyla is inside a lot. She seems happy and all... and no shes not jelous- I dont think. I do have time for my animals and I think I treat them equally, yesterday I was more stressed about the Degu than anything.
I also forgot to mention, I have 2 other adults in my home, with my 11 year old sister (yea I live at home still ) So I think they get attn. I just must have been upset cause at work (training I should say) I was looking at the dogs and they are all kenneled up, but they dont ESCAPE they dont seem lazy... and I look at my dogs and they aren't the same. BUT I guess these other dogs ARE police dogs, and harshly trained...
So I dont know. Yesterday was a bad day
Old June 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Long Term Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I hope I got out of your post the right stuff to comment on... Maybe you have a wicked bond with your doggies, but I just got the sense that it wasn't the case.
Yea, you were a little off on the bond. We have a incredible bond...
for example-
One day my dad and I were kidding around and he pushed me a bit, just to the side, Shyla jumped up on his stomach and when he backed up she got off, then until I left, she didn't let him come near me... so shes protective-
Old June 19th, 2005, 01:58 PM

I think we all have days like that

The main thing to keep in mind is that you are providing the proper care and have compassion for your animals.
My adult dogs spend most of their time laying around and they are more than happy to do so. Sometimes I wonder if they are bored but I`m sure they would be destroying something or escaping if they wanted to get your attention.
There are some dogs that don`t like the grass,,,,,something about the way it feels on their feet. ( On a different note I had a horse that I would not walk in tall grass, if it brushed her legs she would freak)

Keep reminding yourself that your pets are healthy ( well except for the teeth thing but that you are taking care of) and well cared for. There is really nothing more they should need. The run may be a good idea but if your dog doesn`t like grass then she would probably would not enjoy the run if it were on the grass.

Some days I wish I had it as good as my dogs have it, I mean really, they sleep when they want for as long as they want, they get showered with affection and attention, someone always brings them their meals and treats and all they have to do is just be a dog. What a life they have.
Old June 19th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Long Term Member

yea. good point.. lucky aren't they?
Old June 19th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=JessXx]BUT I guess these other dogs ARE police dogs, and [U]harshly trained...

They're working dogs, and meant for work. They're not harshly trained, their training is designed to make them working dogs.
Old June 19th, 2005, 04:52 PM
banned user

Don't you have to go to the training academy for a full course (kind of like boot camp) to become a cop? Maybe it's different in Canada. Now I'm really confused lol.
Old June 19th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

No it's not different here CF
Full day requirements and usually to a training facility where you live full time with occassional weekends off.

There are 'some' private colleges which offer 'officer training' programs but they don't guarantee you acceptance anywhere. They just offer training and you pay through the nose. The regular hiring practices still are independant for each municipal/provincial and our federal force.

I know nothing about Degu's so I"m sorry I can't help.Vets who deal with exotic animals may be more helpful or understanding.

As for the dogs, take them for walks and runs to give them exercise ...they may be depressed because they want more people time.
How often do they go for 'walks'
Old June 19th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

In Ontario when I got hired, you had to be hired by the police service first, then you got sent to OPC (Ontario Police College), then when you returned to your own police service, they did further in house training.
Old June 19th, 2005, 05:28 PM
banned user

Quote:
Full day requirements and usually to a training facility where you live full time with occassional weekends off.
Yes, that's pretty much how they do it here, too. So it's not different, after all.

JessXx, are you staying at the training academy throughout the week? Your profile does say that you are a "radio dj/cop". If you are at the academy all week and working part time as a dj (weekends?), I assume you don't see much of your pets, and maybe they are missing you.

Last edited by Cactus Flower; June 19th, 2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old June 19th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

what the heck is a dagu?? never heard of htat one....

dont worry, i have a big lazy dog who you actually have to beg to get up and play at times, she really gets me too some days. nah she just seems to sit around alot, the only real play she has is when she has a human involved..

and someday i will do everything i can think ofto make her happy only to be responded to with a grunt, she may appease me for a little while then looks at me like im an idiot, and goes and does her stuff......

soem dogs are jsut more chilled out than others, dotn worry you could have a dog on hte go all the time, now that woudl drive me nuts....
Old June 19th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Mel you either typed that fast or you're frunk I mean drunk
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

lol, busted big time yes im lazy nah not drunk its only 8am, no drinkin till 10am for this ducky

typed that fast, and i so rarely read what i type, seems to be a problem at times....im jsut too darn lazy, my mum always said i did everthing with 'a lick and a promise'...well she was very very right, crap dont tell her that, i would never hear the end of it......

yes mel really needs to work on her accuracy....
now where is that lazy dog, i swear its embarassing at times when i seem to be begging my dog for a bit of attention, just pathetic, shouldnt it be the other way....
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Degu
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessXx
WHAT CAN I DO? She's so playful, but I can't play with her, Im not a DOG and she can't bite me or win a game from me or else she's gonna think shes the boss according to all the vets and books. SHE WANTS TO HAVE FUN.
Jess -- we had a high energy dog who was prone to bouts of boredom. If left unattended she would eat the house.. the car... the fence... Well okay she didn't eat the fence out of boredom - she ate the fence to escape. Yes, she literally ate through the wooden fence.. several times. We bought her a 12 x 10 chain link kennel.. and it took her about 24 hours to break the chain link and get out. This was a major cry for attention and we knew it. She never went far.. as a matter of fact she would chew through and we would find her lounging just outside the fence in the neighbor's yard.

Now -- our dog was very young at this point (about 6 months) and I'm not sure how old your Shyla is ... (but really you can teach an old dog new tricks...) What we did was channel that energy. We had to teach her how she could play with us. We trained her to chase a ball (try a frisbee.. a floppy disc... a dog toy.. something.. but stick to ONE special toy especially in the beginning). Yes - it helps if retrieving comes naturally to your dog -- but it doesn't have to... There are plenty of places on line, etc. that have step-by-step instructions for training 'ball work' etc. Our dog learned to love the ball game (and her ball) and waited patiently every day for it... She loved it so much it became her reward for anything else we wanted to teach her (she loved it more than doggy treats).

It's just a suggestion that worked with our dog. We were able to go out and throw that ball and make her really really happy... and never again had any trouble with her chewing or trying to escape. If she was inside and getting antsy... we could take her out and throw her ball about 10 times and she'd be content.

Good luck!
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

is that closer to a rodent or rabbit?? i have never in my life seen anything
that looks like that, how bizarre....

correct me but is it pronounced -day-gu or dee-goo
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Day goooo lol

My dog has suddenly decided she enjoys the company of the basement more then me...so I'm feeling ya Mel!

Good MORNING to ya!
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Mel, do you live in Aus? If so, there are lots of weird and bizarre animals there! hahaha, lets talk Platupus for a moment. . .hahah

I've always said DAY-GOO, but I could be wrong. . .
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:22 PM

It looks chinchilla-like. Very cute little buggers.
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

the only weird or bizarre lookin animal round here is me

funny but when one sees their own natives for all their life it seems normal, and others very bizare. platypus is one of my fav animals, i still have all my childhood stuffed toys...

oh and i dont think i have a dog, sometimes i wonder if i jsut own a really cute lookin sloth.... (she excersises alot though)

and good mornin to you lovely luba
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Long Term Member

sorry, I was really busy! Tryin to spend more time with Shy.

Im a part time DJ (actually more like once and a while relief shift dj... lol)
I only go ONCE in a while...
And I am training, I can see the police dogs but I don't interact very much, they were showing me some stuff...

They get a lot of walks like at least 1 a day.

thanks.