Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 8th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Angry What do parents teach their kids?!?!

I was on the phone with my man and Boo starts barking. I have a piece of plexiglass blocking the front door so they see out but are somewhat deterred from exiting. Then I hear the plexiglass fall. I dropped the phone and ran and there was a girl, about 9 or 10 on my front porch. "Can I take them for a walk?" In my head, I was thinking, "ARE you KIDDING?" My dogs are twice the size of her and she didn't even know them. She said "I didn't know the big one could get through the glass!" Well, deary, that's why you are not supposed to apporach strange dogs.

I hope those of you with kids teach them that you don't approach strange dogs, especially if it involves going onto somebody's property.
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Rottie owner and lover

At almost 16 months old, she stays with me until I give the ok, then allow her to go. it almost looks as if she is asking in her own cute way
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:56 PM

I'm thinking someone had the idea of starting a dog-walking biz for the summer break and didn't quite know how to solicit customers properly? Then again, that's a little young to be walking dogs on her own. Yeah, some people are a little clueless when it comes to kids and animals. I sure hope my boys know better than that - Lord knows I've drilled it into their heads often enough ("OK, Mom, I know already!").
Old July 8th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Well, at least the girl had good intentions. I've had kids push Leon while he was sniffing another dog to make them fight, throw dirt in his eyes, try to hit him with a stick, try to kick him, etc,etc... Their parents were watching and doing nothing about it.
Old July 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM
banned user

We had a rash of that happeneing in my co-op lately. Little kids running into a backyard where a husky is tied, they didn't think to stop at all.
I've had to correct soo many children. The parents dont make the kids understand just because the dog is nice with its owner doesn't mean you can run into it's yard!
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

what sort of parent lets their child approach a strangers door, that childs parents are askign for trouble...
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:29 PM
banned user

For real... thats not even funny. So if your dog bit her then YOU would have the lawsuit on your hands. Just insane!
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Personal servant to Joey

dog walking is big business in our neighbourhood, it usually starts with kids under 12 as they are still too young to take the babysitting course. I used to let one girl that lived on the corner walk our dog, she also had a dog of her own and she knew my dog too. I also had total strangers knock on my door that I had no idea who they were so I said no to them. They are now competing with each other, some offer pooper scooper services in addition to dog walking.

IF I know the person and their parents and if they know my dog I would consider it I would never let anyone under 10 walk my dog under any conditions.
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

in australia it is illeagle under the companion animals act to leave a child under the age of 12yo alone with a dog, so walking a dog is out too. so its not something i would ever deal with i suppose....

but still, some of the fights my dog has gotten into, and not started by her mostly either, the thought of a 11 yo dealing with that is terrifying to me an potentially tragic...
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:25 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
in australia it is illeagle under the companion animals act to leave a child under the age of 12yo alone with a dog, so walking a dog is out too. so its not something i would ever deal with i suppose....

but still, some of the fights my dog has gotten into, and not started by her mostly either, the thought of a 11 yo dealing with that is terrifying to me an potentially tragic...
Mel, I have to say- I think that should be the law everywhere. I don't even trust most adults with my dog- why would I put his life in the hands of a kid (that is not my own). No offense to the people who DO let kids walk their dog, just understand that in NYC a drop of the leash is a dead dog... guaranteed! If I lived a more rural area perhaps I would feel differently.

Many bad things happen when children are left alone with dogs, especially poorly trained dogs. I think it's better safe than sorry, too many parents have a lack of brain cells!
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:43 PM

My neighbor let his 10yo son hold onto the leash of a lab they haven't had very long and don't know whether or not the dog has any leash manners. In a matter of seconds, the lab saw an elderly cocker across the road (the cocker had escaped from his house - something he does on occasion ), and made a beeline for it. The leash was promptly yanked out of the boy's hand. The lab had the cocker pinned and was looking for the best place to chomp down while the cocker cried in fear. The owner of the lab managed to pull the lab off, and there was no damage done to the cocker in the end, luckily for them.

Yeah, people in rural areas are pretty lax in their doggy habits.
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:50 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
My neighbor let his 10yo son hold onto the leash of a lab they haven't had very long and don't know whether or not the dog has any leash manners. In a matter of seconds, the lab saw an elderly cocker across the road (the cocker had escaped from his house - something he does on occasion ), and made a beeline for it. The leash was promptly yanked out of the boy's hand. The lab had the cocker pinned and was looking for the best place to chomp down while the cocker cried in fear. The owner of the lab managed to pull the lab off, and there was no damage done to the cocker in the end, luckily for them.

Yeah, people in rural areas are pretty lax in their doggy habits.
A perfect example Writing4Fun... which is why I am an overly protective mom... or as those who know me say "obsessed with" my dog. Sey la ve.
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:11 PM

That's what I'm wondering- am I liable if she comes onto MY property? I can imagine if I had met her parents and if the dogs were familiar, but she came out of nowhere. What if I had been somebody else? I mean we just moved here. People don't have a clue who we are and where we come from. With Kreepy Karla moving to town among all the other sickos out there, I seriously wonder how parents can be so unattentive.
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
That's what I'm wondering- am I liable if she comes onto MY property? I can imagine if I had met her parents and if the dogs were familiar, but she came out of nowhere. What if I had been somebody else? I mean we just moved here. People don't have a clue who we are and where we come from. With Kreepy Karla moving to town among all the other sickos out there, I seriously wonder how parents can be so unattentive.
Yes Prin I believe you are liable if she comes on your property.
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Well, next time I'll have to be more a$$-kickin' to get my point across then. I don't think I was mean enough to make her understand the consequences of approaching strange dogs. I mean, I didn't think I would have to be a sudden parent that day.
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I have to admitt, when I was a child my love of dogs, far outweighed my fear of them, and I would always pet strange dogs . My parents continously told me, never to approach, or pet dogs I didn't know, and they also explained the consequences......But I did it anyway (when they weren't looking or around) I just LOVED them soooo much I couldn't resist .

I also walked our dog from the time I was 8, without incident, (our dog was very well trained) . I guess it depends on how mature and responsible the kid is, as well as how well trained the dog is.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:10 PM

It also depends what you see in their eyes. When I was little, I know I could tell a lot from a dogs eyes. If it's just love, there's no danger, but you have to be an intuitive kid to see it.
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:12 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
I have to admitt, when I was a child my love of dogs, far outweighed my fear of them, and I would always pet strange dogs . My parents continously told me, never to approach, or pet dogs I didn't know, and they also explained the consequences......But I did it anyway (when they weren't looking or around) I just LOVED them soooo much I couldn't resist .

I also walked our dog from the time I was 8, without incident, (our dog was very well trained) . I guess it depends on how mature and responsible the kid is, as well as how well trained the dog is.
I agree... in all honesty I walked my dog at 5!!! She was a mini poodle (13lbs.) though, and very well trained. I was VERY responsible with her and such a great kid around pets. I had them all! However, my parents raised me that way... most don't.

Thats why I get mad when I hear people say "I got the ____ for my kid and he/she never cleans up after it or takes care of it!". Obviously they aren't raising them to be responsible pet owners because my parents never had to ask me to clean out my small animal tanks, pick up after my dogs, fill up their water, feed them etc. I just did it... I knew. Only thing I needed help with was my 100 gallon fish tank... lol, it was taller than me.
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Robbie's trained (haha) to ask me before he approaches ANY dog, then I will ask the owner, then he approaches face on with an open hand so the dog can sniff. He'd be in a boatload of trouble if he didn't.
Old July 11th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog walkers

My biggest concern is that this child is approaching a home and God knows who lives there. True Kreepy Karla is out there and so are many other creeps.
Old July 11th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I know. Even the adult neighbors don't know us. How do they know to trust us? Because we're a young couple? Well, so were Kreepy and her man.
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM
owned by Tucker

I prefer people don't stroke Tucker, as for children he had a bad experience with some young kids and now acts strange around them. A few of the kids where I live would come and stroke him as a pup but this spring when the came running over to him they relized how big Tucker has gotten and ran away screaming, why I don't know. Now he thinks all kids are going to run screaming, a few kids that have approached him slowly have been ok with him. But others he kind of stares at them, it makes me uneasy even that I know he is a herding dog but the stare is scary so I ask them not to stroke him. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I normally educate children on how to approach a strange dog, I'd had some problems befor with my large dog the parents would freek out, but Travis was a suck for kids and would let them climb all over him.
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:04 PM
banned user

At first I thought it was just an expression... however I'm starting to think there actually is a Creepy Karla. Am I right? I'm assuming there is some sort of funny story behind it?
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Karla Humolka (sp) and her hubby Paul Bernardo (Teal) were a pair of Sicko's from Scarborough Ontario, who raped tortured and murdered 2 young girls, as well as raping and murdering Karla's own sister!!

Paul is also believed to be responsible for many rapes in the Scarborough area, and was know as the Scarborough rapist.

Long story short, Karla took a plea bargain, anbd for testimony against her husband, only got 12 years!! Well she was released last week!! And is believed to be living Quebec somewhere.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by happycats; July 11th, 2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM

There's a long, long thread in the off-topic about it. She's bad.
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

There's another thread about Karla - I know that she's been paroled and I am assuming that she is a pedophile or worse.

Anyway, as a kid I was afraid of little dogs, but never big ones (got bit by a little one in the face). My mom always taught me to stay away from strange dogs, big or little. That didn't keep me from petting strange dogs when she wasn't around. I remember one time walking through an alley with some friends - saw a huge white dog, happily wagging its tail. As I got closer to the dog, my friends starting yelling at me and pointed. I looked at the house and a woman was on the porch screaming at me not to go any closer. I looked back at the dog and his tail wasn't wagging anymore. I still wasn't within his chain reach, but apparently he wasn't nice. I also think about what would've happened if some kid would've approached our dog Ceasar - he was mean and I am almost positive that he would've bitten any kid that got close enough to him. I know what Prin means by looking at the eyes - but I think that most kids wouldn't know what they are looking at.

I know that here in Wyoming, if your dog bites someone, you are liable. Doesn't matter if they broke into your house, if they got into your yard or if your dog was on leash - if the dog bites someone, you are responsible. Wherever, whenever, however.
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
Karla Humolka (sp) and her hubby Paul Bernardo (Teal) were a pair of Sicko's from Scarborough Ontario, who raped tortured and murdered 2 young girls, as well as raping and murdering Karla's own sister!!

Paul is also believed to be responsible for many rapes in the Scarborough area, and was know as the Scarborough rapist.

Long story short, Karla took a plea bargain, anbd for testimony against her husband, only got 12 years!! Well she was released last week!! And is believed to be living Quebec somewhere.
Oh my! Thats not a funny story! What a nut job!
Old July 11th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Owned by goldens

Karla is said to be living somewhere in the Montreal area. Actually I am surprised the media has not found out her address yet. I have no doubt they will as she has to go out sometime and apparently is dying for an iced cappucino from Tim Horton's.
Seriuosly though I was watching a talk show about her and the psychologist said that she may not have the intention of harming anyone again but may not have control if the opportunity came knocking.
I hate it when kids have to sell chocolates for school or sports activities. They go door to door asking for trouble in my opinion.
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:00 PM
banned user

When I was a child, I never went door to door. I got my mom to do it at work, or bowling league, horshoe league or whatever.
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:37 PM

I was a fairly responsible kid. I walked our GSDs starting when I was about 8 -- and I had good instincts about dogs as well. I knew better than to go running up to a strange dog like a big dope... And I knew better than to run away from a strange dog like a big dope. I suppose I was just very AWARE even when I was a kid. I also never approached people's houses unless I was with one of my parents and it was Halloween.

BUT .. I have three and a half children (still waiting on number four... *footap*). My two boys confound me. In so many ways -- they are nothing like me. No matter what I try to teach them -- they see the world differently. I am a huge nature buff.. When I was a little girl I had a toad in each pocket and Mom had to chase me down for a bath... (I haven't changed much -- except I like baths now...) My boys? Nature shows on television give them the willies. I have to force them to go outside and then they come running back screaming about bugs or frogs... Imagine my exasperation when they run inside in a panic because they have dirt on their hands. The horror! They also have this strange and irritating fear of dogs.. and cats.. and anything else that lives and breathes. Even Judge terrifies them. My seven year old runs around the house lamenting, "Mom mom his teeth look really sharp!!!" Groan.
(We are spending countless hours working on this.. and have actually managed to get the boys to play with the poor puppy without shrieking and jumping on furniture.... Progress...) In the meantime -- my little girl (who incidentally takes dirt baths and throws worms on her brothers...) is standing in front of the puppy with one tiny finger extended saying "Jub, sit! No bite! Good dog!" Giggle.

So you see.. parenting is only part of it... Sometimes a frustratingly small part!! Just remember when some kid does something horribly appalling they just might have a parent out there who would be just as horrified to know what they've done.

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com