Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 20th, 2005, 06:38 PM

how to be a dog trainer?

Hi ,
I'm looking for a cafrrer change and was wondering if anyone knows if there are schools on the south shore of montreal that offer courses on becomming a trainer? I am contemplating emailing or calling some trainers to see how this works.

thanks for your input,
Laurie
Chacha - Chipoo
3 budgies
Sam - rabbit
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

I don't know what the laws in Canada are but in the states you do not need to be licensed to be a dog trainer. However if you are going to train peoples dogs for them or board dogs at all then you need to be licensed by the state.

I am going out on a limb here, but Tenderfoot Training does not train like anyone else (out here) who runs a training school so it would not have done us any good to go to one. In fact we are working on a program to start training people on our methods so they can become Tenderfoot Trainers. I say this because it is so much more than learning what someone else does and copying them. We have worked with animals for our whole lives and trained with horse whisperers for 20 years before we ever thought of putting our ideas out there to effect change. This is not to say that you couldn't become a great trainer in a short period of time - the challenge (after you have refined your methods) is understanding how all dogs are the same and yet each one is different and how you can successfully communicate with each one and teach their people to do the same.

You have to go out and get tons of experience with all kinds of methods and philosophies so that when you develop your own way of training - it comes from what you know works and what you know doesn't work for you & the dogs. You have to be good with people and patient beyond words because it is really about changing people and their relationship with their dogs not just getting the perfect sit or stay.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:04 PM

I agree with Tenderfoot. I don't think there are any credible "schools for trainers" out there. The best way, IMHO, is to work with a trainer you admire and like their methods. Gain some experience as their assistant. Read every book/watch every video you can get your hands on. Go to seminars held by well-known trainers. Become a trainer "groupie".
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:20 PM
-

I am a trainer and have trained other trainers. It is great if this is really what you want to do. Having learned all the skills and knowledge doesn't make a great trainer. There are so many other things that you must be good at, public speaking, compassion, patience, control, positive attitude and most of all be able to successfully teach another. It seems that my family is full of teachers. My mother, both sisters, brother in-law, aunts and uncles. I am the only one who works with dogs. In my opinion this is even more difficult because I don't just have one specific age group at a time. I have a full spectrum from children to elderly as well as dogs all in the same class. There is also a lot to learn and continue learning besides the actual cues you would teach. Good luck