Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old May 21st, 2010, 05:55 AM

Advanced question: Gdv emergency...?

Hello,
Thankyou so much indeed in advance if you are able to help me as I am extremely worried about my little one. We have a tri-colour Pedergri King Charles Spannel Caverlier which, having just lost a brother of 23, we are very fond of. Especially as we waited over three years to get him after lossing the last to a newly discovered form of cancer.

So the concern is- I take him out along on my bike ride everyday which he has always thourhly enjoyed before crashing out for an hour upon his return. However, due to the fact I broke my foot, we have not been out for a couple of months untill three days ago. Within an hour of arriving back then and after yesterdays outing, he was wimpering in excrueating pain especially when anyone tried to stroke him. At first I though it was DOMS(Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) from a lactosse build-up but it doesn't appear to be in his legs as one would expect. He will still trot about but seems in alot of pain when going up or down stairs. This lead me to believe that it was his joints as the magority of the sprinting, rather foolishly, was down on a track. It seems worst if you touch his belly so I was also tinkering down the avenue of GDV(Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus) which is extremly worrying. However, hes not beltching or salivating. Can it occour without these symptons? Although small, I would still class him as a deep chested dog as he tapers towards the back somewhat, which they say makes him more subseptable to GDV. He will often stand with its limbs spread out as if to try to relieve the pain although seems to be breathing just fine. As far as I'm aware he didn't have a feed anywhere near the run although he often has a big'ish drink upon returning home. He has pretty much not moved for two days which is completely not like his usuall hectic self.

Understandably I am beside myself with worry. My mother has flown out to Spain to support my Aunt who now has cancer and will not be returning for a month. She's the only one who knows which vet we use but obviously we don't want to have to enlighten her to the situation based on her current circumstances. So, any advice or help what so ever would be very much greatly appreciated. If we lost his, it will quite simple destroy whats left of our family. Again, thankyou so much indeed if you are able to shed any light. He is wimpering as I write this!!

Respectfully yours,

Lauzer W H Dixon

Last edited by Blackbear; May 21st, 2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: No personal emails, pls
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:22 AM

Welcome to Pets.ca.

Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately.

Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.
Closed Thread