Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 17th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Question Change in Mother Cat's behavior

Our mother cat, who we guess is a little over 1 year old (someone dumped her here in the countryside when she was pregnant) and adopted us, just had her 2nd -- and last (yes, we had the surgery) -- litter of 4 cutie-pie kittens. She was a wonderful mother with her initial litter with us (2 survived) and continued caring in the same fashion with the second litter of 4 (1 died during birth). However, recently she has taken to behaving hostile towards the kittens, hissing when they come around (enough of a warning that the kittens take off). The kittens are 5 months old, weaned, and very healthy so I guess technically they don't need mom, but her behavior change is curious. She has also taken to wanting to stay in doors all the time, which is what we were gradually adjusting her to (she had been living quite queenly in the climate-controlled garage (with the kittens) and visited outside in the daytime). Before she'd go insane if she was in the house more than 15 minutes, now we're talking all day and all nite with a hop outside on the porch and back in for no more than 10 minutes at a time (that is when she's willing to go out). We want her to be safe and stay inside but her about face in behavior is perplexing. All her other behavior, eating, sleeping, using the kitty litter, haven't changed. So just curious if this is normal behavior......????
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Are the kittens all spayed and neutered? If not, you better do it soon if you are keeping them or you will have more litters, and brother/sister breedings are not advisable.

When the kittens become sexually mature (which females can do as young as 5 months) some mothers just dont' want them around anymore. It just depends on the cat. Some mothers are happy to have their babies around forever.

As for mom wanting to be inside - she's getting used to the comfort now, which most cats will do if given the chance.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Kittens are scheduled for the vet's surgery this week. Have found homes for 2 of them, working on the rest... otherwise, we're the family with 6 cats(!) and one puppy. Got to be convinced they are going to a good home before I let them loose.

Thx for the insight, hadn't thought about them maturing so quickly,it's just mom didn't do this with the other surviving two... the ones I refer to as the teenagers now.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear you're being very responsible!

I have a feral cat momma here now who not only would love to have her kittens around forever, but will mother ANY kittens.

Another female I had wanted her kittens gone when they were 7 weeks old. I guess they are like people - some great mothers and some not so great.

And it's true that cats usually mature sexually later - normally 6 months for females and 9 months for males, but you never know so better safe than sorry.