Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 11th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Pet Guardian

Post Take 2: boots for tiny dog feet

Ok, I got some suggestions from a person who actually owns a Pet Planet, and I went to try Muttluks on my little booger. They were ok, at least on one front foot, for a short time in the store, but they're suede bottom and I'm not sure how that'd stand up to his kicking/scratching. Also, the way they go on, the only strap was right at the back of his foot, like at the back of his pad; I wasn't sure if it'd be uncomfortable walking on it.

The other suggestion that the Pet Planet staff tried on him was one that I liked, but was too big. I'm not sure if these are the same ones, but I think they were Ethical Fashion (Fashion Pet) Performance boots, I'll go back and check tomorrow I think, but it had 2 straps, the whole thing was the same height as the muttluks but without the stretchy (useless) cuff. This would result in one of the straps being up past his "wrist" and it seemed like it'd stay on better. It also had a rubber bottom, which would be challenging to wear through - I know it would wear, but not as fast as suede. I liked it, but it was too big for his foot. She said that they didn't have any smaller, they were sold out. I didn't press on whether that was just that store or the manufacturer - yes, realizing now that I should have but I was just so frustrated that yet again I was unable to get boots.

The next day I tried Pet Smart - and the boots they have on their website either aren't sold in stores or weren't stocked at the location I went to. I wasn't willing to spend $90 on the muttluks supreme or whatever they were called with the rubber soles, and they probably would have been too big also, based on the guide on the box (they didn't have them that small). Then I went to another store and tried a pair of teeny tiny boots - Ruff Wear Summit Trek. They're 1.5", rubber bottoms, meant more for general outdoors and not specifically for snow, but would still be warmer than bare feet in snow! In the store they seemed to fit ok, though I had trouble getting the front ones tight enough to stay on, but thought I could probably work out the kinks at home. So I bought them.
Got home, took him for a walk around the block. The front boots slid 4 times, and he'd trip and fall on his face. 3 times I re-positioned them and re-tightened them, the last time I just took them off the poor thing. We barely got half way around the block before I took them off. Grrrrrr.

Took him for a walk today, mostly in the off-leash park (just snow) and then on the sidewalk on the way back. I seemed to have gotten them tight enough, but a couple times he seemed like he was hurting, would hold up a front foot or limp, and they did seem to be sliding off a little - corrected 3 times. He walked really really slow, still fell on his face a couple times, but generally they seemed to be somewhat better than nothing. HOWEVER, the actual boot part seemed too big, like there was still lots of space around his foot inside the boot. When we got home, I followed their (Ruff Wear) instructions on how to measure the foot and his front foot is right at 1.25", his back one just under 1.25". These boots, the smallest they make, are 1.5" - I have not found any boots for 1.25" even in online searches.

But I did find these: http://tinyurl.com/pj6rbc2 - these are PetSmart.com but they are also on Amazon.ca - and from there the dimensions are listed as 2.4" long by 1.5" wide (for extra small). I didn't measure Cube's foot length. I really like the way they appear to do up, for starters, double strap!! However, I can't find any other pictures of them; how do they actually work? Has anyone tried them?

Any suggestions from anyone with tiny dog feet? At this point I'm just about ready to give up and just keep him indoors when it's cold or snowy, just as we've done the last 10 winters. But I know he really likes to walk and loves the snow. Can you help?

Melissa

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet."
Old January 13th, 2015, 09:15 AM

I am in the same boat, Piper has tiny feet also. Tried some from Petco, cost me 20 and they didn't stay on for more then a minute. Got some rubber ones off amazon,cheaper but still wouldn't stay on. Tried newborn socks, still too large, maybe premie socks? So for now I am just using Mushers Secret and limiting time outside. I am watching this thread with interest to see if you find something that works.
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Just throwing this out there, cuz we don't have any really little feet here--but what about balloons with a little cotton batting stuck in them? Not sure if you could get the batting to lie flat, but it might be worth a try. Maybe secure with a loose band or some tape to keep them up?

I wouldn't try it if your dog is prone to eating inappropriate objects, though--a balloon could cause a blockage or even suffocation on the way down if it lodges in the throat.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; January 13th, 2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old January 13th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.k9carts.com/store/boots

I found this link
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Those are the boots I tried first. Very slippery on the ice and wouldn't stay on.
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogs&acat View Post
Those are the boots I tried first. Very slippery on the ice and wouldn't stay on.
Thanks ! That is good to know , I won't buy them. I tried getting some boots on Marty but they were too hard to get on , it took forever so I did not buy them. I want some that are easy to get on a dog b/c they have for paws and Marty hated having his feet touch.