Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 7th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Question Cats and pregnant women

I work in a residential program for pregnant and post-partum women. Their babies and young children also live with them. Can we safely adopt a stray cat?
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You recreated your thread lmao I tried to answer the last one and I couldn't you musta deleted it and redid it haha!

Anyway, I suggest you get a cat from a rescue which has been in a foster home setting with children. Thats your best bet. Also the cat should have a safe place to go to get away from the kids when it doesn't want to be bothered.

www.petfinder.com
search for rescues in your area best of luck
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Monitor the cat closely for the first while. My cousin had a cat that she loved dearly, and who loved her dearly too. Well....she got pregnant and things changed. The cat actually attacked her. Now, I couldn't tell you if the cat was a female/male fixed/not, so that probably had tons to do with it. But, just for safety's sake, watch for a while to be sure.

But, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that nothing happens!!

Good for you on adopting a little fur ball!
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:34 PM

I think what you're worried about is toxoplasmosis. As long as the pregnant women don't clean out the litter, they should be ok. Also, that "cats stealing babies' breath" thing is a myth. BUT, cats do like to cuddle up with warm bodies, and babies put out A LOT of heat. Just make sure the cat can't hop into the cribs (either put screen doors on the babies' rooms or restrict the cat's area so s/he can't get to the bedrooms).

I am a little curious, though. What will you do with the cat if someone comes in who is allergic?

Good luck!
Old September 7th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

There is no reason why pregnant women should not be able to enjoy a cat,I had three kids and always cats.I was also the only one doing the litterboxes,that's before they found out it could cause problems
I would suggest to you a male neutered cat,some females can at times be a little skittish and might get stressed out with too many people,but I am assuming you have some experience with cats,right?
Two males would be ideal
Old September 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
There is no reason why pregnant women should not be able to enjoy a cat,I had three kids and always cats.I was also the only one doing the litterboxes,that's before they found out it could cause problems
Actually, I spoke to my Dr about this the first time I got pregnant. A woman who already has a cat when she becomes pregnant has probably already built up the anitbodies against toxoplasmosis, and is most likely safe around the litter (he tested me to make sure). That's why I didn't have to worry either (although I was hoping I could use that as an excuse to get hubby to clean out the litter for a while! ).