Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 13th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Brady has crystals

My moms cat Brady has crystals. He stopped peeing on Tuesday. We got him in on Wednesday and the vet did an exam. Our regular vet is on vacation so the girl replacing her saw Brady.

Brady was obviously uncomfortable with the exam. They obtained a urine sample from him via cyntisis and have sent it off for a culture and sensitiviity. He was drooling on the counter and she looked at his penis area it was discolored which she said was not good as it could indicate a blockage.

So they gave Brady Prazolin to relax his sphynter and muscles and an antibiotic which I forget the name of right now along with 6 cans of their urinary food.

I spoke with the vet today regarding the initial lab results and he indicated that the were more than 50 ?? crystals in the urine. His expression was " wall to wall" crystals... We had the food discussion.

He didnt like my questions and indicated that in order to understand food I have to have an education in nutrition. Well needless to say he basically told me that Brady will have to have this food for the rest of his life because he could face a blockage. I asked him what difference was between the wet food Brady eats now and their urinary food and I honestly dont think I got an answer other than a discussion on how it apparently works. I asked him if I needed to look at food that has less phosprous, or fat, sodium etc and he replied "its not that simple".

Needless to say I am pretty annoyed but my mom will probably try it for a short while until we can figure things out.

We also dont want to have his EGC to flare up. With that issue he eats venison, duck etc and with their food they are mostly chicken based??

Vet mentioned Brady's urine specific gravity was 1066 and that they were struvite crystals.

I am going to pick up a copy of the lab report when the C&S is done so that I have the information.

My mom says he seems happier the past couple of days so the medication must be working.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
He didnt like my questions and indicated that in order to understand food I have to have an education in nutrition.
Oh please. And does he have an "education in nutrition"? Of course not (Hill's/Royal Canin/Purina propaganda doesn't count), so what makes him the authority.

Quote:
Vet mentioned Brady's urine specific gravity was 1066 and that they were struvite crystals.
A USG of 1.066 is extremely concentrated and indicates dehydration. Can you get your mom to add some extra water to Brady's wet food if she isn't already?

Quote:
I am going to pick up a copy of the lab report when the C&S is done so that I have the information.
Good idea. Another important piece of the puzzle is the urine ph. Struvite crystals tend to form in alkaline urine, so if Brady is somehow unable to maintain a more acidic urine then perhaps adding L-methionine (acidifying amino acid) to his wet food would help. I would only do that if your mom has a way of monitoring his urine ph regularly at home though, since urine that becomes too acidic is at high risk of developing calcium oxalate crystals. Those are much harder to deal with.

Quote:
My mom says he seems happier the past couple of days so the medication must be working.
What a huge relief! I just dealt with a blocked urinary tract in a semi-feral that I'm looking after. He spent 3 days at the emergency clinic and needed to be catheterized. He's doing great now, knock on wood, but it scared the crap outta me. I've started adding water to his food and have gone 100% wet (good canned and raw - not prescription). I used to leave a tiny bit of dry out for him cause there are a few other neighbourhood cats that would sometimes eat his canned food first, and also because in the winter the canned food would freeze so quickly. No more dry for him ever again!!!

I hope Brady stays blockage-free.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well C&S is back and they only found a small bit of infection but not in the amount they said would be enough to culture it. The only other issue was blood in the urine and large amounts of struvite crystals.

Brady is to continue with the meds given but the vet indicated he MUST be on the prescription food for life or he will block. I am struglling because I know the food isnt the best but he is eating it and feeling much better. I dont want to risk the blockage and the vet is not helpful at all with having a food discussion. All they keep saying is that this formula of food is designed to get rid of the crystals and the food we feed isnt. Oh and that in order to understand it I would need an education in Nutrition.

He is feeling much better and so is my mom now that she knows what she is dealing with.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I'm glad Brady is doing better.

Oh, those vets. And I bet they would sell kibble to your mom too .

Additional fluids with his food will help keep his bladder well flushed (and a proper, qualilty, meat diet to help keep his urine at an acceptable ph).

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Its interesting because I also mentioned Brady has EGC and has been on wet food for a few years now. He eats venison,Duck and Turkey. This food is chicken based BUT he is eating it? My concern to the vet was how will we keep the EGC at bay? They replied there is no scientific proof that the food alleviates the symptoms? SO I felt like saying "then you lied to me years ago!" about the purpose of the food but I didnt want to get into it anymore with them. The vet said that we have to weigh our options on what is more of an issue a blockage or some sores on the mouth???

Having said that though my mom is now afraid to take him off the vet food??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Its interesting because I also mentioned Brady has EGC and has been on wet food for a few years now. He eats venison,Duck and Turkey. This food is chicken based BUT he is eating it? My concern to the vet was how will we keep the EGC at bay? They replied there is no scientific proof that the food alleviates the symptoms? SO I felt like saying "then you lied to me years ago!" about the purpose of the food but I didnt want to get into it anymore with them. The vet said that we have to weigh our options on what is more of an issue a blockage or some sores on the mouth???

Having said that though my mom is now afraid to take him off the vet food??
But they sell food for cats who have EGC?? (btw, my daughter's cat has it and it only stays away with the vet food).

Your poor mom.

Is the Venison, duck & turkey food canned?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, glad to hear Brady is feeling better for now anyhow. Hope it stays that way. I am floored by how much everybody knows about cats (and dogs) around here. It makes me feel pretty stooopid to be honest!

I guess I was lucky as all get out when I had cats years ago, I never had any health issues with them until they were very old, and I didn't know squat about blood work numbers and nutrition and such. I've learned so much from this board! Thanks all for sharing your wisdom.
Old July 20th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

L4H he was eating Natural Balance in those flavors but the UTI/Crystal food is all chicken based. Basically they indicated to me to worry about the crystals more than the EGC??

DD I have learned a ton of things from all the knowledgable people on this board too! thank god there are folks around like those we know here!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 20th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
L4H he was eating Natural Balance in those flavors but the UTI/Crystal food is all chicken based. Basically they indicated to me to worry about the crystals more than the EGC??

DD I have learned a ton of things from all the knowledgable people on this board too! thank god there are folks around like those we know here!
Hopefully SCM will have some suggestions. I still say, added water to quality canned (especially one that is keeping his EGC at bay) should help keep the crystals away.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 20th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well C&S is back and they only found a small bit of infection but not in the amount they said would be enough to culture it. The only other issue was blood in the urine and large amounts of struvite crystals.

Brady is to continue with the meds given but the vet indicated he MUST be on the prescription food for life or he will block. I am struglling because I know the food isnt the best but he is eating it and feeling much better. I dont want to risk the blockage and the vet is not helpful at all with having a food discussion. All they keep saying is that this formula of food is designed to get rid of the crystals and the food we feed isnt. Oh and that in order to understand it I would need an education in Nutrition.

He is feeling much better and so is my mom now that she knows what she is dealing with.

Cindy
Could you afford to get a second opinion from another vet? Your vet seem to be talking down to you and your mom . I don't like his attitude toward you.
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Cindy, what was Brady's urine ph, do you know? Is there any way that you or your mom could periodically test his urine at home with ph test strips?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

SCM I am not 100% I still have to go back and pick up a copy. I know the vet said she had no conerns on his urine specific gravity. I had asked about that because I recall with Bomber it was too diluted and wanted to ask about that.
We may have to take him back in for a shot for the EGC, He has some issues around his mouth when we took him in but he was feeling so bad with the crystals we opted to wait a bit. He has been getting much further space in between these bouts of sores. He was getting those shots every six months and most recently it has been a couple of years since he had one. If I remember they were depo sots.

As for testing it, I would have to try to do it. My mom wouldn;t be able to.

Mom said Brady is quite happy these days, no more howling and he is eating the food without issue. He has finally stopped drooling too!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown