Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old December 12th, 2004, 01:00 PM
banned user

Question how to find a good stud to breed to my dog??

im looking into getting my blue heeler breed but im picky about who i breed to her.
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:13 PM
banned user

You're not going to get a good response about breeding your dog, especially considering your dog is aggressive, why on earth would you want to breed her?
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Most ppl on this site are if not against breeding, at least extreamly picky on who is considered a "responsible" breeder. If your pup is agressive, it is probably not the best to be breeding her. Also, how old is your pup? What heat cycle is she in? Has she been genetic tested? Vet checked for all forms of problems? Why are you breeding her? What will you do with her pups? What about the ones that don't sell?
As a forewarning, just like Sneaky said, you will probably not get the warmest reception to this question.
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

No one who has a champion stud would ever think of allowing him to breed with a dog who is not also a champion in something,(performance, conformation, etc) and who has not been tested and cleared against all genetic defects common to this breed.

Has your dog done and had all that?
Old December 12th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I believe Peppy85 has already answered the question of what will happen to the pups in another thread defending petstores getting pups from BYB's, even stating his/her mom sells her boxers to petstores. Apples don't fall far from their tree!
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

here's a question

Why are your horses gelded? Could it be that they are not stud quality? This same theory applies to dogs.. think about it. So many unwanted animals in this world, why add to the population and breed an agressive dog.
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
yeah ausi/cattle dog their not they same they look different personality,they bark more,more hyper,coat is different,
Really? That's strange, since a "Blue Heeler" IS an Aussie Cattle dog. You are breeding and didn't know that?

Quote:
The term: "Australian Cattle Dog" (ACD) is the official (American Kennel Club) breed name for a dog also called: "Blue Heeler, Red Heeler, and Queensland Heeler".
There are quite a few needing homes in Michigan, including this poor girl who desperately needs help.
Angus
Attached Images

Old December 13th, 2004, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Really? That's strange, since a "Blue Heeler" IS an Aussie Cattle dog. You are breeding and didn't know that?

[/URL]
i think what peppy was talkin about was "aussi" as in australian shepard every one i know calls australian shepards aussis and australian cattle dogs blue heeler or red heeler
and personaly i dont think breeding your pet even once twice or however many times,is byb breeding ,if your careful who you sell to ,now its a different story if you let anyone buy the puppys.
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah right,WHY would you breed your dog KNOWING she is agrressive???????????????????????????????????????? ??????
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:37 PM
banned user

Angry

first off i know what the hell im doing im going to sell them to friends at a few barns and stables that are looking for blue heelers,and the ones i dont sell i will keep one and other i will put up for adoption,as for her aggesiveness its in the breed you cant get around it and its not that bad only tords some animals never ppl,shes never attaked any thing, and i dont want to breed her to champion stud just a good dog blue heelers are not prissy little show dogs there working farm and herding dogs,and yes shes been veted, and shes 3yrs if you bother to read my signiture.my horses are gelded becuz their are so many quarter horse stallions out there.im breeding her cuz i have a list of ppl wanting pups from her.and this is for glassass,you saying im like my mother is an extereme insult i wont sell to anyone without going through questions and also id never sell to a store,most of them are supplyed by millsand they are horable dirty and discusting places,i only want one litter out of her then i will spay her i have talked to other ppl who breed blue heelers and they said every female they have bred has calmed down after breding and that is not why im breeding her,shes a beautiful dog great personality and loves ppl,i want a to find a male like that.
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Jeez how many animals do you and your family breed????
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
my horses are gelded becuz their are so many quarter horse stallions out there
With 2,026 Aussie Cattle dogs/Blue Heelers "out there" homeless on Petfinder alone, do you really have to provide your neighbours with dogs by breeding yours?

And why would farmers want puppies from an animal aggressive dog?

You say you know what you're doing, yet seem to think that breeding her to a quiet and unaggressive dog is the answer, as though that will automatically mean the pups won't be aggressive.

I don't know much about genetics, but I'm not breeding my dog. I suggest you do more research before proceeding.
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:49 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
Jeez how many animals do you and your family breed????
my family doesnt bred any animals
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:54 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
With 2,026 Aussie Cattle dogs/Blue Heelers "out there" homeless on Petfinder alone, do you really have to provide your neighbours with dogs by breeding yours?
yeah ausi/cattle dog their not they same they look different personality,they bark more,more hyper,coat is different,and they arent as good around horses,ausis are nippyer around horses cattledogs arent.and i said they want a puppy from her specifically,a blue heeler not cross.there is nuthing wrong with ausi/cattledog crooses,i think their great dogs but thats not what they want.
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

breeding will not

For your information, I own an Australian Shepherd crossed with Bernese. She is totally Australian Shepherd. She came to me with 5 pups at her side. In no way, shape or form did this slow her down or change her temperament with regards to other animals. So don't kid yourself, it's not going to help and will probably add to the unwanted pet population.
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Senior Contributor

acdlover, are you and peppy85 identical twins? Hmmmm....

And by the way, you are getting more and more confused. The post clearly says "Aussie CATTLE dog" and NOT "shepherd".

Thread locked.
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I doubt you'll find any information on who you should breed your dog with...I think the large majority of the people on this site are against BYB, even if it is just for friends, and just once.
Here's a reminder of the administration's warning before posting:
Quote:
Welcome to the Pets.ca free bulletin board. We hope you enjoy your visit. We hope you will share and learn from this site.
The pulse of this forum - Please read and get a feel for this Bulletin Board

First and foremost this forum is dedicated to providing useful information to pet owners on all matters pet related. Everyone is welcome and everyone is invited to read posts and to post questions and answers. That said, this board has been up for several years and it has developed a certain pulse. Most people on this forum are against declawing cats, and are against banning specific dog breeds. Most people on this forum are VERY pro spay/neuter
Closed Thread