Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 28th, 2004, 07:02 PM
AmInaL

I have an addiction to dogs.

I know many of you have the same problem. I only own one, and am looking to rescue, but I'm driving myself insane. I can't decide on a breed. I mean I work for a vet, I know alot about different breeds, but everytime I see one that I fall in love with, I change my mind. You'd think working at a vet I would see lots of dogs needing homes, but it's rare for some reason.

Please don't tell me I'm turning into the "crazy dog lady". I'm looking for the perfect dog, but there are soooo many perfect ones out there! One minute I'm looking at Greyhounds, the next labs, terriers, etc etc.

Oh dear lord, I can't stop. I'll end up living alone with a gazillion dogs.

O.K end of rant.

I know the right dog will come around at the right time.
Old December 28th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure your new addition will find you......maybe I can send my next one to you just j/k strays and cases seem to find me all the time
Attached Images

Old December 28th, 2004, 07:34 PM
AmInaL

Lol. That's funny ^

My husband seriously thinks I'm losing it.

He is so spoiled, but I have room for more, hubby on the other hand, may need to find a new couch.
Attached Images

Old December 28th, 2004, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobsterMom

Please don't tell me I'm turning into the "crazy dog lady". I'm looking for the perfect dog, but there are soooo many perfect ones out there!
Take comfort in that at least you're not turning into a "crazy CAT lady"
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:03 PM
AmInaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7
Take comfort in that at least you're not turning into a "crazy CAT lady"
Oh dear...Thank God. I don't think I could live with myself.
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:49 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggette
strays and cases seem to find me all the time
Did you see the duck at the THS?

Duck (Peking)
A083182
Attached Images

Old December 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Love all creatures

That's so sad. Someone is probably gonna buy it and cook it for New Years dinner...

aww
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:58 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
That's so sad. Someone is probably gonna buy it and cook it for New Years dinner...

aww
Shhhh...... :sad:
Old December 29th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

There's nothing wrong with you

Visit the shelters. If you need to go to more than one and go over and over again do it. I'm convinced that the right one will eventually choose you.
Old December 30th, 2004, 01:30 PM
AmInaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat
Visit the shelters. If you need to go to more than one and go over and over again do it. I'm convinced that the right one will eventually choose you.
They only have one shelter in my vicinity, I HATE going there. I cry each time I leave. How do you choose just one to take home? It's soooo sad.
Old December 30th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

The Star Fish - Why saving one is sometimes enough

Pet them all and give them just a little bit of love. As tough as it is for you it means the world to them. Wait for that one to touch you. My Pointer hugged me and looked straight into my eyes while holding on for dear life. My Rhodesian mix climbed into my coat. Most of all don't feel bad because you can only save one. You can't save them all. Be proud that you have saved one. I lifted this from http://www.pbrc.net/recommendations.html

THE STARFISH

In Maine, they tell of an old man walking along the beach with his grandson. The boy picked up each starfish they passed and threw it back in the ocean. "If I left them here", said the boy, "they would dry up and die. I'm saving their lives."

The old man said, "But the beach goes on for miles, and there are millions of starfish. What you're doing won't make any difference."

The boy looked at the starfish in his hand, threw it in the water, and answered: "It makes a difference to this one."

Adapted from Loren C. Eiseley's,
The Star Thrower
Old December 30th, 2004, 03:05 PM
AmInaL

Quote:
Pet them all and give them just a little bit of love. As tough as it is for you it means the world to them. Wait for that one to touch you. My Pointer hugged me and looked straight into my eyes while holding on for dear life. My Rhodesian mix climbed into my coat. Most of all don't feel bad because you can only save one. You can't save them all. Be proud that you have saved one. I lifted this from http://www.pbrc.net/recommendations.html

THE STARFISH

In Maine, they tell of an old man walking along the beach with his grandson. The boy picked up each starfish they passed and threw it back in the ocean. "If I left them here", said the boy, "they would dry up and die. I'm saving their lives."

The old man said, "But the beach goes on for miles, and there are millions of starfish. What you're doing won't make any difference."

The boy looked at the starfish in his hand, threw it in the water, and answered: "It makes a difference to this one."

The Star Thrower
You are absolutely right! We will make a difference by rescuing 1 dog....but I still can't help crying for the rest :sad:

Thank you the story, it's very sweet
Old January 2nd, 2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

THE STARFISH

The Star Thrower
what a nice story...thanx for posting that!
I'm the same, I ball my eyes out every time I go to the shelter...or even that petstore. I want to take everyone home with me, the only thing holding me back is my hubbie. If I was living alone, I would definetly be the crazy neighborhood dog lady
At the SPCA on the south shore of montreal, they don't want you to pet the dogs, I guess they don't you transfering any diseases to them...it's so sad :sad:
I wish we could save them all.....

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 2nd, 2005, 03:55 PM

Hope you have good luck in finding another furbaby. I am still searching for small furbaby to love our family. I call everyday to our local shelter and they still have no dogs or puppies. It is a good thing for the furbabies but sadly not for us. But am not going to give up my search as my son says there is one out there somewhere just waiting for us.