Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 14th, 2004, 10:58 PM

Excitement Peeing

Casey (6 month old toy poodle), LOVES people, perhaps too much. :love: When we go outside for pee time, and a passer-by pays him some attention before he gets the job done, he tends to sprinkle pee a little. Occasionally, he will do this even after he has had a big pee (which confuses me). Yesterday, my husband and I woke him up when we came home from a concert, and he woke up all waggly tailed, and dancing about, and he started to sprinkle pee -- inside! It's the first time he's done that... although I know he had a very full bladder, so I do understand.

I'm wondering if his neutering (2 weeks ago) could be a factor to make it worse -- i.e. excitement peeing in the house? Also, how can he do that when he's just had a big pee??? Finally, is there anything I can do to curb this behaviour? I love the way he loves people, but no one wants pee sprinkled on their shoes, and I certainly don't want him sprinkling pee in the house!

Thanks so much for any and all help!
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:36 PM
banned user

Bugsy did this until he was about 1 year old. Whenever people came over
he'd get so excited he'd sprinkle. So I'd just say no no it's not peeee....it's 'happy to see you" .
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:34 AM

That's too cute, Bugsy!

Until your dog was a year old -- okay... I don't mind if it is just a growing up thing -- we're lucky that Koreans have heated flooring and no carpets -- so a little pee here and there is no biggie.

He's grown up a lot in the last month or so and stopped a lot of bad habits and so I guess I forgot that he's still pretty young! But such a sweetheart these days that I can barely stand it! Even when he was dancing around sprinkling the floor with pee I was thinking, AWWWw you're so happy to see us!
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:47 AM
banned user

I wasn't to worried because my cousin's dog did the same until she too was a
year old. We had a routine when we went over to her place... ring the bell
back up so when she opened the door the dog would come outside... this way she'd "happy to see you" outside. Me I'd just go get the mop. .
The jumping and play biting..well that's another story....
Old October 15th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

You need to subdue the welcome and take him outside immediately. Then have the excited welcome after. He'll learn to control it eventually as he matures a bit.
Old October 15th, 2004, 06:28 PM

I'm just so glad that this is still normal... it isn't that often (only once inside), and I just hoped it wasn't a sign of bladder problems!!!

Bugsy, you're wayyyy too funny!

Glasslass, Casey is turning into SUCH a sweetheart. Are poodles always so wonderful????? We had one when I was growing up and she was just LOVED by all, and now Casey is turning out to be the same kind of heart stealer... Am I just lucky???? Why don't more people love poodles???
:love:
Old October 15th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Moonie, you've been smitten by the poodle-bug! The reason more people don't love poodles is the same as a lot of other breeds- stereotyping! Until you've had one, you just don't know. All 4 of my Den-Dens were so special! They were all totally different personalities, but all extra sweet and loving. They have so much potential! They just need a loving owner who will let them fulfill that potential! I have a digital film clip of Den-Den and Corky playing together. I wish I could attach it here but the file's too big. I wish everyone could see them playing "soft" with each other. They take turns chasing each other and one minute Corky is on his back being submissive and the next minute they reverse roles and Den-Den is the one being submissive while Corky gets to be dominant. I wish Casey could play with them. What's weird is poodles actually seem to recognize other poodles. They play differently together than with other dogs! I never get tired of watching them!
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

My neighbors ****er-Spaniel,who is 5yrs old,still piddles when she comes to my fence knowing I'll have a treat for her,but that's outside,so it's ok....my cats get jealous and I had to give them a doggy-treat after which I just got a disgusted look :love:
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:17 PM
banned user

Blaze is 8 months and still sprinkle pee when I come home from work. It is not alot so nothing I am real concerned about I think it is great that he is so happy and healthy, I am sure he will grow out of it with age.
Old October 17th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Tally still gets excited sometimes and pees, especially when meeting new people. It's nothing to worry about and all puppies should grow out of it
Old October 17th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog doesn't pee when he gets excited, but he used to dribble such a small amount when he was excited. That was when he was small and had not much bladder control.
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:20 AM

It actually hasn't happened again since I posted I'm sure he will again, but it has already become less frequent. I wonder if the daily park walks we've started taking help at all (he gets more stimulation in a day). It sure makes him sleep more! My little sweetie.
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:45 AM
banned user

HEres some info

I found the item below on the TIPS portion of the site

The key to curing a dog's submissive urination problem is to remove the excitement that causes it, and by building up a dog's confidence, since confident dogs don't urinate when they get excited. When you come home, do not greet your dog with excitement. In fact, it's better if you ignore your dog completely for the first few minutes. Nonchalantly, let your dog out to urinate or have another family member take the dog out. It is very important not to get your dog excited. Don't make direct eye contact with him since direct eye contact is a sign of dominance, and don't talk to him, or talk to him in a low monotone voice. When the dog urinates, lavish excessive amounts of praise upon him. The goal here, is for the dog to get excited about urination outdoors.
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Thanks Mysts!

Thanks for finding that -- it's an appropriate addition to this thread, although I don't think it fits Casey to a tee. I think (from what I've seen on other sites too) that it refers more to grown up dogs. But I don't get excited when I see Casey (although it's soooo hard to resist!), more because of his tendency towards separation anxiety than anything else.