View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The light is just too dang low. Guess I'll just have to wait for the next really sunny day...probably some time in, oh, April! I did manage to accidentally catch this image of a northern shrike when it landed 35 feet from me in the sumac. Since it's a 'mini-hawk' in behavior, I had one glorious instant surrounded by the sound of alarm chips and whirring wings as a mixed flock of 150 small birds went up from under the feeders all at once!

Name:  Northern shrike 1-16-11 D.JPG
Views: 980
Size:  189.5 KB

Shutter speed of 1/800; ISO bumped up to 640. It's still pretty dark, but not too bad for a serendipitous shot of an uncommon bird. Missed it's take off, though, so blew the opportunity to find out if 1/800 will freeze moving shrike wings.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."