View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I agree that it "would" be nice to go shopping with well behaved dogs....but the real world is full of flawed pet owners - so for me this is a terrible idea.

For every 1 dog that is perfectly trained there are thousands that are not.....

Given how irresponsible many pet owners are (with obedience training) and the fact that untrained dogs are still animals with teeth - why anyone would want to take the chance that the dogs would be well behaved in a store is beyond me.

"Well behaved dog" as a store policy is one of those words that is VERY ambiguous, therefore dangerous. Will someone evaluate every dog that enters a store for "well-behaviorness". Policies like this are just screaming for for additional injuries and lawsuits.
I agree 110% with this. It would be nice to take my dogs into the store from time to time however... there are just too many irresponsible pet owners out there. Take Flexi leads for example, I despise them on so many levels but how many people do you see with 20 foot flexi's that let their dogs wander the full lead and think "they're on leash as per policy" meanwhile they are tripping people, wrapping that cord around your legs, lunging out at other dogs ect.
I'm quite content leaving my dogs at home while I'm shopping anyways. Last thing I would want to be doing is worrying about who is approaching my dog or what my dog is doing while I'm trying on shoes and stuff.