View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Never been so scared

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last evening before I picked up my daughter from school, Harley and I stopped at a dog park where I knew no one would be. To work on retrieving, and coming when called. For 10 mins, all was great, happy doggie.
Then someone came in. Before then unleashed there dog ( pitbull mix) I asked how he was with other dogs, because Harley is great, very friendly, and non dominant, I was not worried. The guy mid 20's responded he is great with them. My fault I should have left, But I trusted him. Dog showed no signs of dominance, or aggression from opposite side of fence.
So here where it gets really scary. Haley was running for the ball I threw. He did not even have a chance to get to the ball before the dog lunged for harley's throat. I ran to my baby's side, who was not fighting back, just protecting himself. I was screaming and crying, the guy just stood there, did not try to help. Finally I kicked the dog so hard, I think I might have cracked something, I did not care. My baby was getting hurt. The dog came back at Harley, As I was pulling harley away the dog lunged again, this time missing harley, and getting my Arm. I am ok, he let go. I kicked the dog again ( very hard. Ran with Harley to the door and got out of there. Screaming and crying at the same time.
I am never going back.
I decribed the dog to the city, and someone else has reported the dog, for aggression issues. Why in the hell would you say the dog was great with other dogs, well knowing it attacked another.

I am in shock still. I brought Harley into the vet right after it happened and got him checked out. He is ok, only a few little punture wounds. They said he did not need his rabies shot because he is up to date with it, just to watch for possible infection......
As soon as we picked up my daughter, thank god she was not there. Harley played to forget the whole thing, Seeing my daughter brought him back to happy land........
My moral of this incident is never trust another dog, and there owner unless you know them well.