View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:29 PM

What I meant was when people ask for more than $200 for their dog, not shelters. Shelters deserve the money. I'm talking about the family that got a dog and then 3 years later the kids are bored and the parents decide, "well instead of going to a shelter, let's get some money back". There was actually a 6 year old Dobie in the paper one Saturday for $600. These are the people I am talking about. Not shelters or foster agencies.

And to clarify, I adopt older dogs too. I have only had one younger adopted dog and she was given to us unexpectedly. I meant the "older, used and discarded dogs" sarcastically from the perspective of the money grubbers. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I just don't have a lot of respect for people who abandon their animals for bad reasons and on top of that try to sell them off.

I still don't think that the person who pays the most up front will take the best care of the animal. I know people who paid $350 adoption fees and won't pay any vet bills that are not part of maintenance. They won't even buy heartworm pills. I think, as I've said before, it's in the screening, not in the money. People who give away animals have to screen and people accepting animals also have to be aware and be ready to accept consequences.