Thread: Dog limping
View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope the amoxicillin works for Bandit. Did the vet check for Anaplasma? There's a snap test available for it from Idexx. The symptoms can be pretty similar to Lyme's. You're in a prime area for both diseases, I think.

Maybe Bandit is lucky and doesn't have either? (I always hope for a sprain when one of ours comes up limping... Doesn't usually end up being that simple, but I can hope, can't I? )

The dog that is still on antibiotic has Anaplasma phagocytophilum (it used to be classified as Ehrlichia equii). He started out on doxycycline (8 weeks), was moved to amoxicilin (which he didn't tolerate well so was only on for 10 days), and then was switched to Baytril. Baytril is not the drug of choice for anaplasmosis, but another vet at the clinic had good luck using it on one of his goldens with anaplasmosis and at the two week recheck on our dog, Cole, it seems to be working well for him, too. His WBC and platelets were back up into the normal range.

Doxycycline is the drug of choice for both Lyme's and anaplasmosis, but it doesn't always completely work.

I started a thread when we found out Cole had anaplasmosis...let's see if I can find it.... Yep, here it is:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34891

We've never had joint taps done.

Four of our dogs are on glucosamine/chondroitin (2 capsules a day). It really seems to help. Since dogs aren't big on the placebo effect , the improvement we saw when we first started it convinced us it really does have benefit.

Beds at our house are always very crowded. Sometimes I need a shoe horn to wedge myself onto a sliver of bed and sometimes I can't claim any of the covers. Luckily, six dogs give off a prodigious amount of heat!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."