View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2 View Post
Thanks for addressing the teeth chewing, god it awful. It sounds like she is chewing something plastic

Do you think the SubQ will help her eat. I'm concerned that she won't last much longer without food. The most I can get into her is about 20-30 ML a Day, and that's not enough to keep a bird alive not alone a cat

I don't want to wait too long before I have to go with a feeding tube and the force feeding is exactly that force feeding
Subq's will help her to feel better which may make her more inclined to eat but it will not counter-act the stomach acid or the nausea enough to be a stand alone treatment for stomach acid.

Is Tus still on pepcid for stomach acid?

Since she is still grinding her teeth & nausea the pepcid is not working for her either by dose or application.

Speak to your vet about another histamine H2 antagonist, also available over the counter, called Zantac 75. The active ingredient in Zantac is ranitidine 75mg, and it works in a similar way to Pepcid AC. You will need to ask about appropriate dosages, it is also available in injection form from the vet.

Or ask about Metoclopramide (Reglan) it is available by prescription only. It works in a different way to acid blockers by regulating stomach contractions, and therefore may help with nausea caused by a lack of motility in the stomach. Since Reglan can cross the blood/brain barrier, it also acts on the brain to control feelings of nausea, therefore should NOT be given to cats prone to seizures. Reglan can be given with Pepcid AC as long as the doses are given at least 2 hours apart.

While you are waiting for the vet to move on an appetite stimulant you can try tempting Tus with something along the lines of Pure Bites freeze dried treats or Halo-Liv-A-Little treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2 View Post
Ignore what line?
Love4himmies meant ignore the tapazole she mis-typed it.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying