Thread: Acne
View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:15 PM
<-----nut ball

I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to come by here!

I'm very gentle on my face (wash for 10 secs max with a mild soap, and I never pick and try not to touch my face at all, all day long!). My doc and dermatologist both told me I am "atopic" (basically, I get allergic dermatitis to EVERYTHING with no known cause or reason). It's probably allergy's mostly then (which I basically already knew). It doesn't help that my face is constantly itchy, which makes it hard not to touch it at least sometimes. THen again, I'm always itchy (darn atopy!)

I thought about proactive, but it's BP (benzyl peroxide) based right? BP has now been reseached and it causes free radicals at the skin surface level, raising your chance of getting skin cancer. It's the most effective topical zit fighter, but could be bad in the long run. I'm a little wary to try it.

My BF went on accutane twice as his acne was so bad it didn't work the first time. He learned about an amazing lotion when on it called "Aquatane". It's a super moisturizing cream/lotion that is non-comedogenic and oil free. We both use it and it's the only thing I can use that doesn't make my face all red. We have to special order it from the pharmacy at Walmart. If you are looking for a miracle gentle super thick moisturizing lotion for winter (that's oil free), try this! It's amazing. $7 for a tube of the cream, and I forget the price of the lotion, which is a little thinner.

Being blond with sensitive skin doesn't help, as my face is always red and blotchy. And unfortunately, I can't wear any makeup to cover it up (or I just end up with worse skin for weeks after).

I really don't want to go on Accutane if I can help it. I'm already on a pill that is supposed to help with acne, but I saw no change.