View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Thanks everyone, I am happy to say Raggs and I have made it one full year!

However, maybe it's just me but I keep watching him for signs that it is nearing the end. I hate to say it but I keep thinking of his abnormal blood work and keep looking for the changes in him in the last month or so. He is still eating eagerly and insisting on going outside to relieve himself despite the fact I still have a few pee pads around for him. He hasn't used them in about 5 days.

What I see now that I didn't see before is after he eats he wants to go out every few minutes. He seems to be eating snow and rolling in it but after he eats a few mouthfuls of food, he immediately wants to go out. Then he comes back in and within a few minutes wants to go out again. I can't see any signs of diarrhea or any reason for this, but he does have gas despite the digestive enzymes. He was eating snow the other night so I got out some ice cubes and let him eat them. He crunched about half a dozen then stopped but seemed to enjoy them and settled down to rest after he ate them instead of continually asking to go out. I automatically thought he was trying to stop some pain in his belly. I gave them to him again last night when he seemed to want them and he settled down after having a couple to rest. Maybe he used to have ice cubes at his previous owner's place because I didn't need to show him what they were or what to do with them. The snow eating may only be new because last year we had virtually no snow and this last week we've had lots. With my negative mood I of course am looking at this as a negative event even though everything still seems ok. I've been watching the tumour on his belly like a hawk trying to decide if it is getting larger or changing shape. It's like I'm waiting for him to die or to tell me it's time. I hope I can shake this mood, it's not doing either of us any good. Writing how I feel helps and hopefully someone else has experienced this negative thought pattern and can tell me how they worked through it.

I am enjoying him too and playing with him when he wants to play and I'm giving him a lot of love. His hind end is a little weaker the last few days but he has had bad days off and on the entire time I've owned him as we all do. He's still pouting, barking at the cats and doing all his silly behaviours which I should be glad about.

Anyway I have to turn my attitude around and look on the positive side that he's made it this far and hope that he'll make his next date of Jan 20th, a month since he was diagnosed. My vet originally gave him a maximum of a month to live on Dec 20th.

Thanks for all the support, as you see, I need it more than ever now and so does Raggs. Raggs needs me to break this mood and look at him through positive eyes, not negative!