View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
Is Tucker like this everywhere or only at training?
everywhere, but once we get into the task at hand, he gets more focused. ummm, how to explain... for example, we leave the house for a walk - he's off in la-la-land until we're a portion of the way down the road (after many stops, & backup's) but then he "snaps into it" and walks nicely, and checks in with me (makes eye contact).

Quote:
Do you exercise Tucker before class? Is there any chance you could get there a bit early and work with him before the class starts? If you have a few minutes before things get underway - I would practice what Tucker is really good at; hopefully it will motivate him and at least you'll be starting off with a positive attitude!
My bf meets me there w/ Tucker after work (no time for me to drive home from work and make it to class in time). so we meet about 20 min before class, and we start right away with "warm up's" - I run through drills w/ him - a string of commands - sit, down, release, come, down, stay, etc... but NO he's not "tired" at the start of class.

Quote:
Do you let him sniff around before class starts? I would give him that opportunity and then adopt a no-nonsense attitude - let him know that its time to work, not play. Groups classes are hard because there are so many distarctions. We are both working with independent breeds that don't naturally look to humans for guidance - it takes patience, commitment and maturity for you dog!
I've found his behavior is WORSE if he's allowed to romp & play for even 2 min before class. I let him say hello & sniff a butt, but that's it - we're there to learn. we do allow socializing AFTER class though. even though I try to keep him focused, he's just wanting to play, so YES, it is indeed very hard w/ a group setting, but on the other hand, I think these distractions are an important part of it.

Quote:
Have you tried clicker training?! It is NOT bribing!
LOL! we ARE clicker training!!! you couldn't tell?!?! on the advice of my trainer, we use food lure's for the particularly stubborn ones... i.e... TUCKER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
It sounds like you're doing very well, but don't expect miracles. These dogs sure aren't like Goldens!
good reality check... perhaps I am expecting too much.