View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

As a former Dachshund mommy - dogs of my life - I suggest you speak with your vet or the vet you will take your pup to about Dachshund disc disease before you seriously commit to a Dachshund. I absolutely could not go through the pain and heartbreak again - top neurosurgeons can only do so much - or put a little big guy through it again. I now have an American Eskimo and must content myself with having little love fests with every Dachshund I see. The Dachshund temperament can be very Alpha so you should also be aware of this - worked for me, but not for everyone, which is how I came about adopting my guys. Unfortunately many breeders are breeding pups from parents that suffer from the disc disease and no breeder is about to give you X-rays of the parents. I would say if you go the Dachshund route you will probably find yourself travelling west of Toronto to somewhere between Guelph and London. But please, speak with a vet first. Most definitely do not adopt the little Dachshund you see in the window of a pet store.