View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgourmand View Post
Yes of course I accept the extra responsibilities that come with owning a cat but would Susie S. Bachman deny that cat poop smells terrible (is my nose warning me that it is HAZARDOUS?) and you know scooping it up stinks too, even if it is not really "time-consuming."
Quote:
Its not that a toilet trained cat is "socially acceptable" (an asinine argument) but it most certainly is cleaner, less smelly, and more convenient.
Quote:
What I do think is that it is really practical-- cheaper, neater and more sanitary (at least for me and possibly for him too?)
Quote:
AND ANOTHER THING! When he is stepping IN the litter box he is stepping ON urine-soaked litter and then walking AROUND my home.
Perhaps if you added another litter box and actually cleaned it with more frequency, it wouldn't smell as bad and your cat wouldn't be "stepping ON urine-soaked litter".

The other thing is that one of the most important parts of looking after another animal is keeping track of it's elimination - frequency, volume, consistency, colour, and yes - smell. You can't do this if they're going in the toilet and you therefore miss out on one of the biggest clues to your pet's health.

And my final point - if you find excrement to be so incredibly offensive, perhaps a Chia pet would be a better option for you.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler