View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2018, 09:17 PM

Hi:

I think that there could be a few issues with grinding up the bones, or crushing them up small. From what I can find out in regards to grinding bones for dogs that are cooked, pieces should be no longer than 1/2 cm, and preferably smaller. I could find nothing about size for cats. Cooking changes the structure of the bone which makes it a lot harder to digest. Something else that should be taken into consideration is the amount being fed. There is a calcium / phosphorus ratio that is followed in the making of cat and dog food, and if a calcium ratio gets high from too much bone it can lead to constipation. This problem can occur if you're feeding too much bone at a time, or feeding small amounts too often.

I think if you could coax the cat into eating raw chicken necks or wingtips would be a better thing. And for the dog I would be looking at oxtail. These sinewy bones are great for dental cleaning, and great exercise for the jaws as well.

I think I'm with Marko on this one as well, I would be very hesitant in trying this.