Thread: Puppy Help
View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

You do not have behavioural issues. You have a misunderstood puppy. Border Collies are a very intelligent, high energy breed and they benefit from a knowledgeble owner who can keep up with them and direct their minds and energies.

What training classes are you doing with pup? Classes with an instructor familiar with the breed will you the most. BC thrive in fast action competitive dog sports like agility. He is too young to compete but introductory agility classes would be great. BC also are top winners in Obedience trials and he is not too young to start in competitive Obedience. I would go for one of those whether you intend to compete or not just to get the higher level of training that you and he will need.

This breed needs a lot of mental stimulation along with exercise. Have you seen the joke about how many dogs does it take of each breed to change a light bulb?

Quote:
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb?

Afghan: Light bulb? What light bulb?

Golden Retriever: The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned-out light bulb?

Border Collie: Just one. And I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

Dachshund: I can't reach the stupid lamp!

Toy Poodle: I'll just blow in the border collie's ear and he'll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.

Rottweiler: Make Me!

Shi-tzu: Puh-leeze, dahling. I have servants for that sort of thing.

Lab: Oh, me, me!!! Pleeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh?

Malemute: Let the border collie do it. You can feed me while he's busy.

Springer Spaniel: Light bulb? Light bulb? That thing I just ate was a light bulb?

Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I'm just as cuddly in the dark.

Collie: While it's dark, I'm going to sleep on the couch.

Mastiff: Mastiffs are NOT afraid of the dark.
If you don't give your BC a job to do and teach him how to do it he'll find a job for himself. He might literally rewire your house, no kidding. This breed is far too smart and energetic for me, would love one but I know what I can handle, my Lab is enough. I find this joke is very good at describing the temperament typical to each breed.

In the meantime, patience. You are doing the right things, it will get better, it just takes time. But please, get into classes so you can learn how to enjoy your pup to bring out the best of his abilities. That will make you both happy.