View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Out of California Natural Chicken and Meal, California Natural Lamb and Meal, and Nutro Ultra, which one would you recommend? I was thinking that lamb might not be too good since I've heard it's fattening and she's supposed to be losing weight, but maybe it's not fattening...
I looked them up... would say the California Lamb meal and rice.

I'm told that while glucosamine may work wonders in puppies, the quantity you have to give to an adult to see any effects is huge. A young dog at our park had joint problems and was on glucosamine forever and all it took to fix it was a food change. Now she's off glucosamine and on a better food and she is great. I wouldn't really factor glucosamine in my decision. It may have benefits but I feel that glucosamine for dogs is like sundried tomatoes used to be in humans --- it's just very fashionable these days.

While you may have heard that lamb is fattening, if you look at this website:
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=foods-tab
(pick your food from the list) You'll see that the kcal/pound of the chicken is 1860 and the lamb is less at 1814 kcal/lb, however it doesn't give you the feeding guidelines. If you end up feeding more of the lamb, then I'd go with the chicken. Somebody on another thread I think, wrote that some dogs do not digest lamb well at all, so that's something to consider as well... The nutro ultra has more protein and more fat so there is probably more caloric content in each pound as well, but again, you'd have to compare the feeding guidelines. Less of this food might be better than more of another, lower fat food.

They (california) also have a reduced calorie lamb food, but personally, I believe in exercise to lose weight, not laxatives (there is almost double the fiber in the diet version...)

I don't know about cranberry helping bladders. It works in humans because when you drink cranberry juice, the urine gets very acidic. If it's in dry form, I don't know how acidic it will be or it will cause the urine to be.

Did that help?