View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM

heading to see the vet

Well, we're off to see the vet this afternoon with our cat Jingle. She's 10 and has visibly lost weight. She's usually kind of sausage-ish. I'm scared I've turned her off my food and it's all my fault.

With my cats being kinda chubby, I introduced Purina One weight control dry food to my 3 cats who usually get Iams regular. I mixed the two foods then had trouble getting the same Purina One I'd bought before, so I didn't think much of it and just bought a different type of Purina One dry but didn't mix it with the Iams b/c by this time the pet food scare was on and the foods were hard to get. Yeah, great timing, eh?

So about 4 weeks ago I think oo, look at Jingle, that weight control stuff is working, she's lost weight.

Then I notice, hey, she's lost quite a bit of weight.

Then I start actually taking note of if she's coming to the bowls when I feed them and she's not.

I then mixed in some Iams with the Purina One dry food b/c I wasn't sure she was eating. Two Sundays ago I said to my hubby that I was worried that she wasn't eating as she was looking skinnier. So I bought some wet food that I know she likes and has eaten in the past. She walked up to it and sniffed it and I could see her salivate, and then she turned her head and walked away. That killed me. So I left it that night and the next day I decided I'd force feed her a teaspoon of wet food. She was fine with it. I did that until last Thursday and then let her be thinking let's see if she's eating and I'm not over-reacting.

Well, I'm not convinced she is eating so we're off to the vet in about 1/2 hr to see what's going on.

I'm just so scared (1) I did it to her by changing her food, and (2) crazy bills and no suitable outcome. Like what kind of price do you put on your favourite pet? I can't, but I can't spend a bundle (which to me is over $500) on her either (b/c of finances) and that makes me feel awful and guilty.

I guess I'm writing b/c I feel awful and I need help with my feelings. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that we can give her a vitamin booster and maybe the vet can suggest some ways to inspire her appetite and if that doesn't work, well, we'll go from there.

Wish us luck.