Thread: Designer Breeds
View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Designer Breeds

Hi,

I wanted to post a reply (because a response I made had been criticized and we need to dialogue here -why else have a bulletin board) and I logged on only to discover the thread closed. I have a VERY busy medical practice and can only log on at certain times so I think we need to keep that in mind before closing a thread. I understand the rationale but I also promote free speech!!!

I wanted to note that my point had been about the very idea of a Morkie breed. I was not expecting the individual who adopted a Morkie to be defensive. I for one did not know what a Morkie was until I read it was a designer breed, an issue I do know soemthing about. My comments were meant to be educational and not hurtful.

Indeed, many consumers do not realize the down side to these designer breeds. There is a great article here:

http://www.mysticalpoodles.com/poodl...article26.html

As for whether one should want a certain breed, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I myself seek the Siamese cat breed. That said, Morkies are not a reputable breed in that they are not recognized by the CKC, AKC or the other organizations. (because they are "designer" dogs). I have to add though that I view a reputable breeder as someone who shows their dogs or cats and then opts to breed one of his or her champions. Anything else is by definition a back yard breeder. Granted, some people become well intentioned byb but that fact remains they still are breeding animals disreputably no matter how much they care for their animals and how good their intentions.

As an physician, I would not refer a patient to a doctor who is not Board certified in his or her field. In the same way, I'd never recommend or consider adopting an animal from a breeder who is not reputable. Some jurisdictions require certification for breeders and I think that is one avenue that should be considerer by more Canadian areas.

I even understand why someone would want a designer breed. Our local CTV affiliate interviewed a woman who breeds (not reputably and she readily ackowledged it) labradoodles - a mixed breed - lab/ poodle - and sells the puppies for $1000. They also discussed the downside and controversial nature of this practice so it was well balanced in its presentation. Admittedly, the puppies were cute BUT one can find a wonderful moggie at any shelter. These people are unfortunately adding to the pet population.

I guess I need to know why it is one would want a Morkie and not a Yorkie? I sit on a hospital ethics committee and I have to wonder if that means we should also be creating designer babies? (and alas, that is not far from science fiction either). The ethical issues are similar. Why create a new kind of species - especially a cross breed about which much is not yet known?

Thanks for listening?