View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM

My female "kinda dominant" in nature also 'marks' occasionally and will cover the smell of my male's pee with her own. My male is a very laid back 'submissive' guy. Anyway, I also had a cat pee somewhere and BOTH my male and my female thought they should cover it with their scent. In that case I was able to completely get rid of the odour as it was on some blankets. My male did go through a period of marking all over the house and has completely stopped now, so don't lose hope that you can fix this. For the residual scent problem; you will have to pull up that carpet pad as the odour is embedded there and possibly even into the substrate below. You could have that portion of the plywood cut out and replaced (your husband will love that even more). I dont think a 'marking' dog is going to resist the urge to mark over the urination of the cat if it can still be smelled. If you already have that room 'ripped up' you may try temporarily covering the floor (and smell) with a huge (almost room sized) piece of plastic; then you wont be stressed about it while you are trying to correct this behaviour. As far as the 'going pee out of habit' part of the problem; I think you need to catch her in the act then interrupt and expressly disagree with the behavoiur. Good luck I know its difficult.