View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPurryJess View Post
Hi sugarcatmom!! I am doing fabulously - everyone here is healthy.
Woohoooooo! Very happy to hear that.

Quote:
What kind of minty dental chew toy? I'm intrigued - I didn't know they had these for kitties.
It's the Petstages Mint Stick. My 2 kittens like them (but are no longer allowed unsupervised use of them ), the adults not so much.

Quote:
she now associates the treats with the toothpaste and won't come near me when I try to give her one.
Cats! Sheesh.

Quote:
So here they are, Fitz and Daisy Mae!
Gorgeousness! Do tell them I think they're stunning.

Quote:
sugarcatmom - I looked up the Biotene Maintenance Gel, and it has sorbitol and aloe vera - there's so much conflicting info out there, do you know for certain if either ingredient can be harmful to kitties?
Aloe is fine unless a large amount is consumed, which would result in diarrhea (the fact that it tends to end up on toxic plant lists is a pet peeve of mine). To the best of my knowledge, Sorbitol doesn't have the same problems that Xylitol does (and I agree, totally fun word to spell). Here is an excerpt from this link: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com...date=&pageID=3

Quote:
Other sugar alcohols such as sorbitol and mannitol have little to no effect on blood glucose concentrations or insulin secretion in dogs,6 although over-ingestion may result in an osmotic diarrhea. Artificial sweeteners, such as saccharin, aspartame, and sucralose, are generally regarded as safe and should not cause significant illness if large amounts are ingested.22
I would still prefer it wasn't there, but it may play some sort of role with the enzymes in the Biotene gel.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler