View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I mentioned something else I've read here a few times- that vets will sell any food the companies give them to sell at a profit, regardless of nutritional content.
Vets do mark up but not much on food. The heartworm pills are three times the cost and vaccines are even more. On a 40lb bag of food, if the mark up is $5 the seller is pushing it. Really. If vets marked food up like crazy, no one would buy it there. Heartworm and vaccines have less distribution, so the vets basically have a monopoly there.

Vets are human and being human, they will have knack for some things and not others. My vet is all about doggies and doggie conditions. He can diagnose things really quickly even if he has never seen them before. The vet I worked for was a cat person. Some vets may learn a lot from the little bit of nutrition they get and others may come away with a lot less. That's why it's good to ask around.

About that-- one semester is not long at all. When you consider that for a Biology degree we take three courses on evolution alone in the first year. In exercise science students have to take two or three nutrition classes. There is a lot of information to go through to get a vet degree and nutrition is not a top priority.