View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:22 PM

BARF for Cheap

LoveCharlie,
Do some scouting. I found a Chinese grocery store and got fair deals there for chicken backs and other meats. Then I found a butcher in the same location who now sells me chicken carcasses for 39¢ a pound. Liver and heart are inexpensive and from SuperStore I get headless Pink Salmons, frozen for around 59¢ / 100gr. But they also sell soup pieces (heads & trimmings) of good salmon, fresh, for about 40¢ / 100gr. My cousin gets the same deal in Nova Scotia as I am getting in Calgary.

I know someone who got over a hundred lbs of good packaged beef stakes for free- they were improperly dated and were being thrown out. He's eating them but they' would be perfect for the dog. So, lesson: inquire wherever you see a meat market or large chain grocer. You may get lucky. I always talk to the person in charge at the eat counter and I often come up with surprises.

I believe I spend about a dollar a day to feed my corgi and a friend new to the BARF diet is feeding his Golden Retriever for about the same he was paying for a high quality dog food. I'm surprised how little it takes to fill my dog so be careful not to over feed.