View Single Post
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:16 AM

Signs of Starvation in cats?

So I took my darling kitten, Jasmine to the vet last week because she was exhibiting signs of pain (extremely rare for my kitten, she's a really tough cookie... case in point, I stepped on her once at between two and three months of age *NOT with all my weight of course* and she didn't so much as squeak. And believe me, I found out taking a shower the day I brought her home that she had a voice!). It turned out to be only soft tissue damage, but I had them do her yearly checkup early, as well, so that I did not have to schedule another appointment (I could not afford to do so financially).

The vet told me that she was overweight by a bit, and to cut back her food by 25%, and no more.

Well, there's the problem. I had been dealing with the impending loss, and then the loss of my grandmother over the course of the last while, among other things, and had been neglecting to measure her food. So now that I am measuring again, I have no idea how much to give her!

The vet warned me that cutting her food back by any more than 25% could send her into starvation. I have no idea what that might look like in a cat... So I have no idea what to look for.

I spent some time searching, but the only thing I can find on the internet is people who already HAVE starving cats, not people who can tell me what to watch for to begin with....

She eats all her food, she is still playing, she sleeps about as much as ever.... And we still go for the occasional walk outside (on a leash!), despite the fact that the ground is now covered in snow (she seems to enjoy it, and I only ever let her stay out for a maximum of 5 minutes, because I do not want her to catch cold, or freeze her paws off!).

I currently only feed her once a day, as I have for most of her life. She is on Go! Natural Chicken, Turkey, and Duck dry food, if that makes a difference. It's bloody expensive, and I looked at a lot of them before making the move to that food. One bag does last a very long time, though, at the rate I am supposed to be feeding her.

Any help in what I should be looking for, or suggestions on what I can do to make sure she DOESN'T starve, but loses the weight the vet wants her to lose, would be greatly appreciated. >.<

I probably worry too much, and I am sorry for all the off topic random notes, I just really want to take very, very good care of Jasmine, as she almost literally saved my life when my previous cat, Misha, was diagnosed with cancer, December 16th, 2010, and then had to be put down on April 11th, 2011. Having Jasmine to look after made losing Misha easier, a little. She was a surprise Christmas present from my landlords, who gave in to me having another cat when they realized I could not live without something to love. I picked her up at exactly 8 weeks old, on February 5th. She still sleeps with the teddy I got her to take the edge off losing Misha, and she is the only cat I have ever met that will crawl into a carrier voluntarily, as soon as you put it down. Her favorite treat is a fully popped piece of popcorn, or a little bit of chicken (as she will not eat ANY conventional cat treat I have found. And I have tried them all. Literally. It was a rather expensive endeavour!) I adore her, and I could not bear it if she was suffering because of me. So please, if you can help me, I would be forever grateful!

Last edited by Sephrenia; November 17th, 2011 at 03:39 AM.