View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

And He Lived Happily Ever After
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by AHS on Apr 9, 2004, 17:03

My name is “Louie,” and this is my story. It's not so different from a lot of other dogs' stories out there. It starts off a bit sad. But if you stick with me until the end, you'll see that it has a happy ending.

It all started three years ago when I was born. As puppies go, I was very cute, so it comes as no surprise that a family took me home when I was old enough to leave my mom and littermates. At first, my family seemed to like me a lot and showed me off to all of their friends. But, I was a puppy and sometimes got into mischief or had an accident in the house. Soon, my family got tired of cleaning up after me, but they never trained me to be a good inside dog. If they were really mad, they would hit me. No one should ever hit an animal!

Before long, my family left me outside for hours so that I wouldn't soil the house. Soon, I was never allowed in the house and spent all day and night outside by myself. I had no toys and no one to play with in the yard ... I was lonely and sad. My family practically forgot about me. Sometimes they forgot to feed me or give me fresh water. And, the yard was so hot and had no shade. I sat in the dirt all day with only the occasional bird to keep me company. I had a sunburned nose and was very thirsty. But I was always happy to see the boy in the family. He would run the garden hose for me so that I could get a drink. I would try to play with him, but I was so excited to see him that I jumped, bounced and barked all at the same time. My family said that I was “hyper.” No – I was just lonely.

When I was 8 months old, my family decided that they no longer wanted me. I knew that I wouldn't miss them, but I was scared. They took me to a shelter and said that I'd find another family. They told the people at the shelter that I was “hyper” and that my name was “Brat.” When they drove away, I wasn’t even sad. It took a little while, but a new family fell in love with me at the shelter and took me home. I guess that I was loveable after all!

My new family named me “Louie” and taught me how to be a well-behaved indoor dog. They were very patient and never hit me; instead, they rewarded me when I was good. I got lots of treats and hugs! They even took me to obedience class so that I would learn good manners. I wanted to do everything right.

I now live indoors; I sit on the couch to watch television; I have plenty to eat and drink; and I don't have enough hours in the day to play with all of my toys. Plus, there are two other dogs and three cats to keep me company. My family gives me lots of attention and love, and I give them all my love and loyalty in return. Sometimes, though, I get scared when my family leaves because I'm not sure that they'll come back ... but they always do (I should really try to remember that). So, what started off as a sad “tail” is now a happy one. Although it’s far from over, I’m sure the ending will be “and he lived happily ever after.”

© Copyright 2002 - azhumane.org