View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM

Itching Frantically Doggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post
My dog also has seasonal allergies and licks her paws - they get very red and inflammed. Your dog sounds like she is having quite a bad reaction :sad:

The only thing I can suggest is to wash the paws with a medicated soap - that's what I do and I also use an anti-itch spray called Wham that I purchase from a pet store. I also give benadryl but she still licks so I just try and relieve it a little and prevent infection with the washing and spray.

I think there are actually health benefits to adding apple cider vinegar to your pets diet so I wouldn't be worried about her licking it off however you may not want to encourage her to lick if she likes it so much.

Sorry I can't give more advice - the only reason I look forward to winter is so my dog will have some relief.
Thanks for the suggestions. But, what worries me is Baby licking her paws which have medicated soap ingredients and Wham on them, because - not only does she now have these seasonal allergies, but she also has a VERY sensitive digestion and for the past 2 months she was on special medication to treat this, as she has had chronic diarrhea :sad: and stomach pain etc....so, at the moment she is more "stable" and on the Medicale Fiber diet and nothing else goes in her mouth (except water!)..... Since posting, I have stopped the Benadryl as it did not help at all, and she is back on the Vanectyl P, but at higher dose: 1/2 tablet every 12 hours (Vet's instructions). She is still licking and scratching constantly, but...a bit less "FRANTICALLY".