View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Hi
It's good to see she is still active and has interest in chasing the kitty (poor kitty though )! It doesn't sound like she's at the end. Obviously, there is no chance of curing her cancer, as with most pets that get it. But as I mentioned before, there are many things you can do to help slow the growth and give her a little more time

If you have 2 whole house filters, that should be just fine! Filtered water is perfectly acceptable

As for the food, there are several homemade diets tailored to animals with cancer. The c/d, imo, is horrid food. The first ingredient is ground corn and has no nutritional value whatsoever. It may be ok for helping with the kidney issues and stones, but it's definitely not good for cancer. Corn has a high carb and sugar content, which feeds the growth of the tumors. The carbs in this food is 47.9% which is way too high, and the fact that they are all "garbage" carbs makes it that much worse. I'm not one of those people who are totally against grains. There are some excellent grains that have a lot of nutritional value, and some of the cancer diets even use them, such as quality oats and barley, which are high in iron. Fortunately for me, I haven't had to deal with kidney issues (just bladder stones), so I don't know that these diets would be appropriate for renal failure. I'll post a couple of cancer diet recipes and maybe someone who has dealt with kidney failure will look it over and make sure it's ok

This is a great diet and the lady who posted this has a blog on her cancer baby with a more info and variation on the diet as her dog became quite picky:

Morning Meal
1 cup of cooked chopped Chicken or Turkey
1 cup of steamed pureed mixed green vegetables
1 cooked scrambled egg
1/4 cup cooked chopped liver
2 tablespoons raw chopped parsley
1/2 clove chopped raw garlic
1 tablespoon raw chopped ginger
1 Pet Tab multi vitamin
1 Garlic Pill
2 Vitamin C (1000 mg total)
1 Vitamin E (400 IU)
1 Thorne Vet Immugen
1 CoQ10
1 Milk Thistle
1 L-Arginine
1 Ashwagandha
1 Reishi Mushroom
1 Bromelain
1 Resveratol
1 Selenium
1 L-Glutamine
1 Teaspoon Essiac Tea

Evening Meal
1 cup of cooked chopped Chicken or Turkey
1 cup of steamed pureed mixed green vegetables
1/3 cup of smashed mackerel
1/4 cup cooked chopped liver
2 tablespoons raw chopped parsley
1/2 clove chopped raw garlic
1 tablespoon raw chopped ginger
1 Vitamin A (10,000 IU)
2 Vitamin C (1000 mg total)
1 Chinese Ginseng (500 mg)
1 IP-6
1 CoQ10
1 Milk Thistle
1 Thorne Vet Immugen
1 L-Arginine
1 Reishi Mushroom
1 Spirulina
1 Tumeric Curcumin
1 L-Glutamine
1 Astragalus
1 Teaspoon Essiac Tea
1 Tablespoon Lipiderm
2 Tablespoons of Yogurt (given after her dinner)

Snack: (given 2x per day in-between meals)
2 Tablespoons of cottage cheese
1 Tablespoon of Flax seed oil mixed well with the cottage cheese

Rotating Supplements: I do one week on of these and then one week off
5 drops of Echinacea 3x day
1 capsulue of Yunnan Baiyao at each meal

I have more info about it on her blog:
http://doghemangiosarcoma.blogspot.ca/

I have to run right now, I have an appointment for myself with my sweet Nookies vet
He's both a DVM and TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) vet as well as a human holistic Dr. Never thought I'd ever say my doggie and I have the same Dr!

I'll try to find a few more recipes in some of my bookmarks!
Dear Mrs. Rgeurts,

Wow you really did alot of research for me..You dont know how much I appreciate all you have done, I did call my vet and tell her about your suggestions, she told me to come by the office and pick up this can of Purina and then some letters after it..( I have just sent my Hubby to get it for me) The vet also told me at this time she is more focused on the Kidney failure, She wants Kaysie to eat something rather then nothing at this point, I had mentioned to her she was not wanting to eat the c/d , I do give her boiled chicken breast but that is not enough of a balance diet for her to function now..She said she was not worried about the blood that she is losing as it is also drainage from the tumor as well as some blood ..Her main concern seems to be the kidneys. So I am boiling her water to make sure I have all impurities out. This new can dog food she is giving me will have more water in it as well.. Kaysie does seem a little more active during the day just since the tumor has been draining and decreasing in size, about the size of large egg now vs/ size of lemon or lime before, But thank you again for all your help and I will keep you posted as to her recovery to as good as we can hope for .. Hugs to you all who have responded and helped me with my concerns..God Bless