View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Cats seem to not be eating as much

Hi

I have a 6 yr old male cat, Willie. He is/was 15.4lbs in September when we got the two kittens. I have been trying to change him over to canned food and he is eating it, almost a 5.5 oz can a day. But I have noticed that he has lost some weight. I don't know how much exactly, but I can really feel his hip bones? I think they are. (He is a very long haired cat and it's hard to tell how fat he is by looking at him.)

I am still putting out his dry special food for IBS so he eats a tiny bit of that and a bit of the kitten food, though not as much as he use to. He just doesn't seem to be as hungry as he use to be when he was the only cat. I've been trying to get him to eat more canned food, Wellness, but he won't. I have tried the parmasean cheese on top of it and that helps him to eat more...sometimes.

Do u think he is losing weight because he is chasing the kittens around so much? I don't know how much calories a cat can burn by running around like he never did before the kittens came here.

I can't weigh him as I can't see the scale that great. My son is coming over on Sunday and I'm going to ask him to weigh Willie then.

Willie seems to have more energy that he has in a very long time and he is jumping up and down on things much more than he has in years too, so I don't think he is feeling sick.

Is there something I can feed him to put a bit of weight back on him? I've tried the raw food and he doesn't like it.

Oh yeah, how do u teach a cat to bite or chew his food when all he has ever done is lick it? He even licks the dry food, never chews it.

Now, for the second part of the thread. Since the kittens have gotten fixed they aren't eating as much either. I use to put wet food down in front of them and they would eat until they were going to burst! Since they have been spayed and neutered they don't seem to be eating as much and they don't finish off their food.

I didn't know if because they came from a house with 17 cats they just ate like crazy when they first got here because they were afraid there wouldn't be enough for them and they know now that there is enough food to go around? Or maybe they aren't growing as fast now so they don't need as much food? They are around 25 weeks now. (They were found in a junk car so the rescue didn't know exactly how old they are.)

So for the long post.

Thanks

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)