View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Doggie Wench

Hello OxyMK. If any of my dogs get diarrhea, it's usually because I've fed them something new or something quite high in fat. I don't know what the problem is with your pups but, I'd guess it's from mixing up all the different meats/ingredients in one meal. Your goal should be to offer variety over time (eg 5-7 days), not all in one meal. If you feed them anything new, feed it to them alone so you'll know if it will cause them any problems.

When you feed chicken, feed it alone without fish, beef, eggs etc.. Ie., chicken on bone, small amount of chicken liver, heart, giblet in one meal. When feeding beef, only give it with some beef kidney, beef liver, beef heart, etc.. You can offer sardines alone at another meal (canned sardines may cause a bit of a problem if you feed all the oil they are packed with). Have you ever tried frozen raw sardines? They are a whole food just on their own. As for oatmeal, I wouldn't mix it in with raw meat as it takes longer to digest. If you choose to feed it, perhaps alternately with raw eggs (incl. shell) or a small amount of veggies for a breakfast meal? I only add a small amount of juiced vegies (approx. 1 tbls) per day to meat. I don't feed grains because one of our dogs is quite sensitive to it.

For now, I think you should just offer them something low in fat such as chicken breast on the breast bone for several meals. That's it...no organs or anything until their stools are regular again. You could try to offer a little bit of slippery elm (diluted in water or homemade chicken broth) about an hour before feeding them. This will help coat their tummies and intestines. Don't be alarmed if you see a little bit of jelly coating their next stools; this is normal.

If it doesn't clear up within the next day or so, I would recommend bringing in a stool sample to the vets to rule out any intestinal parasites.

Let us know how it goes.