View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkib View Post
...i am thinking of moving vets for my other cat. Suggestions of what to do here if anything?
Niki, two thoughts for you:

1. If I were in your shoes today, there'd be no thinking about finding another Vet....pardon me, finding a competent feline Veterinarian....I would be on the hunt for one.

2. Secondly, I would pursue this avenue:
Quote:
The college of veterinarians of british columbia (cvbc) is the statutory body created to serve the interests of the public and animals through the regulation and advancement of the veterinary profession in bc.

Mandate
The CVBC's mandate is to create, promote and enforce a high standard of qualification, conduct and competence by practitioners of veterinary medicine.

The CVBC complaints process
Complaints about veterinarians
Veterinarians are required to in every aspect of the handling of a case, meet the standard of care, skill and knowledge, and conduct, expected of a competent and ethical professional.
If you have a concern about the care your animal has received or your veterinarian's conduct, often the best first step is to discuss the matter with your veterinarian.
However, the CVBC ensures that a complaint process is in place and all concerns from the public are addressed.
Complaints must be in writing and signed and the original copy must be sent to the CVBC.

http://www.cvbc.ca/cfm/index.cfm?it=100&id=5
I can still feel some of what you've described. I, too, have lost a very beloved kitty at the hands of an incompetent "Veterinarian". It's infuriating and heartbreaking, and your story just brings it all back for me.

You are way ahead of where I was left, however.....you have the EVIDENCE.

About a new Vet...there's someone on here who lives in your "neck of the woods" who just raves about his/her Vet. I can't pinpoint the member. I will have a look on here for you. Meantime, maybe someone else will know of whom I'm speaking.

This link might be a place to start (you'll still have to make your own assessment, though. "Simple" membership in the AAFP doesn't guarantee competence) http://www.catvets.com/findadoctor/findadoctor.aspx

Hoping some of that helps, and thinking of you