View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:05 AM

what is going on? - submissive/excited urination?

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I have an 11 month old female mutt. I know she has lab/poodle/border collie and there are a few more in there that we haven't figured out yet. She has completed puppy training and her first course of obedience and is really very well behaved although still a puppy with puppy energy. I had thought we were dealing with submissive/excited urination but now I'm not sure. She does pee when we have visitors - sometimes. So I ask them to ignore her until I can see she has settled down (sometimes after 15 minutes or so and I see she's not settling I'll put her in her kennel for a period of time until she calms down). Sometimes this works. And sometimes she moves a few feet away from the visitor and pees anyway. Sometimes she pees when we first get home so we wait to greet her until we've come in and gotten settled ourselves. By then she is settled and we can greet her without the fear of pee. But sometimes she runs to the top of the stairs and pees even if we don't acknowledge her. And sometimes if we see she is going to pee for us we say 'no pee' fairly firmly and she stops. She also pees for the vet and groomer and trainer, pretty much no matter what they do. So what do you think? Do we have a submissive urination problem or a behaviour problem? Any ideas what we should do about either? I'm really coming to my wits end.