View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:00 PM

New member since about 10 minutes ago. With a question for the senior members. A few days ago, I was watching hockey with my GSD (male, 2yrs, 80lbs, loves other dogs). A friend calls and wants to watch the game with us. She wants to bring her dog over too (male, 4yrs, Shiba Inu). I wasn't sure about the two males in a small apt., since I'm a new dog owner but she said it would be fine. I've owned my dog for about 2 months, she's had hers for a long time. They arrived and she just opened the door and let her dog run around my apartment off leash. My dog followed the other dog around being very watchful, and eventually we watched the game. At one point her dog went for my dogs bowl. My dog growled, I pulled him off. Then her dog went for my dogs bed. My dog had enough and a fight started. Lasted about 5 seconds before I could pull my dog off. My dog got the better because he's twice the size. The other dog ended up with quite a hole on top of his head where a long tooth penatrated. He's fine now, with no infection. My dog got a puncture on his leg. He's ok too.
My issue is I feel partly guilty because my dog hurt another dog. He was protecting his bed in his mind though and I don't hold it against him.
My afterthoughts are that she should have held her dog on the lead upon arrival until she knew how her dog would behave around the hot spots at my place(ie. food, bed,etc.). That's what I do when I take him anywhere and it works great. As well, being a junior dog owner, I look back and think that she's owned dogs for a long time and should have known better to bring an unfamiliar male dog into a house with another male dog when the two barely know each other.
It's frustrating because it seems to have caused a rift between this friend of mine and myself. I feel like she put me and my dog in a bad position, despite the fact that I feel I must be responsible for my dog 24/7, which I thought I was. As well, there are rumours going around now that I've got a bad dog! He's good with all other dogs and all my other friends agree.
Anyhoo, anyone got some help with my moral dilemma?