View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:34 PM

designer breeds at shelters...

Now is a good time to mention that my Sister adopted a 4 month old F1b goldendoodle (which is 3/4 poodle and 1/4 golden retriever) from my shelter about 2 years ago. Sadie was originally purchased at a petstore in Toronto for $1400 +tax. The people who bought her had bought her brother the week before and when they went back and saw her still there they felt sorry for her. Then they realized a month or two later that it was too much have two dogs - they gave her away to a friend of mine after asking no questions, and she ended up with me (friend got her with the intention to have her spayed & rehomed so she didn't end up in the hands of a puppymill). Sadie ended up having colitis and having a tumour removed at 6 months of age. I would think that her parents are still out there somewhere making more sick puppies for that petstore.
Thankfully Sadie's condition can be controlled by diet and she's turned into a gorgeous girl....even though my sister loves her, they'd never even think of going to a petstore to get another one.

Jenny