View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
You also have to remember that wet food sitting out is only good for an hour.
Not true at all, especially if you feed a grain-free high quality meat diet. I and countless others leave canned (and even raw!) food out for many hours every day with no problems. If you live in a very hot climate without air conditioning, or insects are an issue, then it might be necessary to do things a bit differently - but even so, it's still possible to leave wet food out for cats to nibble on.

Some ways to keep canned "fresh": 1) add a tablespoon or 2 of water to prevent it from drying out as fast, 2) use a timed feeder with freezer gel-packs in it, 3) freeze canned food in an ice-cube tray and plop a couple frozen chunks into a dish to slowly thaw out over the course of the day, 4) and if you're home, just feed several small meals a day.

Quote:
I was told this by my professors when I was in college for Vet tech a few years back...in my animal nutition class.
Animal nutrition classes for vets or vet techs are not actually a good source of info when it comes to cats, sorry to say.

Quote:
After it has been out for a bit..it starts to turn more of a brownish colour..which is the bacteria growing on it.
The "brownish colour" is just the meat oxidizing and a crust forming as it dries out. Even when bacteria does flourish (and if you think kibble is free of bacteria, think again), cats have digestive systems well suited to handling a higher bacteria load than us mere humans. It's short, so the food is in and out relatively quickly, limiting the ability of bacteria to colonize in the intestines. It's also more acidic, making it a pretty hostile environment for bacteria to set up shop. Having said that, some things are common sense - like don't leave wet food out for more than a day, and make sure you wash the dish with soap and water between every meal. And if your pet has a compromised immune system, be extra cautious.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler