View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM

kerry blue terriers

Hey Lili,

I do own a kerry blue terrier. And a bedlington terrier. Both of my dogs are wonderful. I have owned 2 dobes in the past (very fond of the breed) a bouvier, siberian husky, neopolitan mastiff , australian cattle dog..um, I think that is it although my uncle used to breed collies.

My kerry is the first I've owned. Maybe I was just lucky...good breeder...combination of both but she is the nicest little girl. She is continuously happy, responds well with very little training. She is good to the cat, birds guinea pigs and the bedlington terrier. My bedlington breeder was concerned about me adding a kerry and my kerry breeder was concerned that I had a bedlington..and other pets, but mostly the bedlington. As it turns out, both are very responsible breeders and chose to breed very stable dogs. As with any breed your best to research and meet the breeders and their dogs. Don't buy a pup from anyone who sells them before at least 9 weeks. I've had many dogs and the only ones that stayed past or atleast 9 weeks were far more even and level headed. Those few extra weeks make all the differance. I've been told that they have to be brought home young (6 weeks..for the acd) in order to bond properly...I have trouble with this as there is so much developement going on with a pup in the next few weeks that it is crucial for them to remain with their pack to learn proper dog behaviour. Anyways, I think that my kerry is quite possibly the happiest , sweetist thing. She does not shed ..at all. Grooming, on the other hand, is considerable work if you want your dog to actually look like a kerry.. Kerry blues can be very dog aggressive..especially the boys...but like I said , do your research. My bedlington breeder saw a kerry handler taken away in an ambulance after the kerry turned on the handler. She was worried for my bedlington but as it turns out...it is a match made in heaven...get a girl if your worried about dog aggression...they are easier and less apt to be a problem that way...I have a male beddie and a female kerry..

Bouviers are great dogs as well...lots of work as far as grooming goes, and a very powerful animal..none the less....a well bred animal with proper socialization is a wonderful thing! I love bouviers... Dobes..well, I love them but due to popularity and bad breeding there are a lot of hyper, hard to control dobes out there with various health problems. Anyways, If you don't mind wet whiskers and continuously cleaning out water dishes (lots of silt settling to the bottom from busy faces in holes, hahah) and your not afraid to try your hand at grooming...then a kerry might be for you!

good luck in your search!