View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:46 PM

Mona b -No problem!! With a cat, a puppy and 2 kids ( and a husband, but don't tell him I said that) I suppose I have my hands full.

The training thing is actually quite simple. As with your dogs you just need to be consistent and have lots of patience. You and your family will need to learn the basic signs for "no/stop, down, come and nice". They can be ASL signs or signs you agree on as a family. It will not matter to Casper as he does not know the difference!

Once you know the signs you want to use begin by every time you want Casper's attention make a vibration by touching, tapping or stepping on whatever it is that Casper is physically sitting on (tap your leg with your hand, stamp your foot lightly on the floor, knock on the counter, etc.). As with deaf people he can pick up vibrations. You only teach one new command a month and this is where the patience thing comes in! Now that you have Casper's attention (hopefully) be sure that every time he answers a vibration praise him up lots! Do this all the time, any time for about two weeks then you can start using the commands you want to teach him.

Everytime Casper is doing something he is not suppose to or you want to issue a command, make a vibration and issue the command. Hopefully this makes sense. Keep at it and if you have any problems or questions let me know!