View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley01 View Post
From my point of view give fish to cat like tuna and salmon because cat like fish very much
Hi wesley01 - welcome to the forum!

Well, everyone is going to have their own "point of view".......

Those "points of view" - for the ordinary, average 'person on the street' - often come from the influences of advertising. There are many dangers in believing everything that manufacturers and retailers put out there.

That said, I have a problem with your argument: "give fish because they like it".

Well, what if someone's kids like fatty fast foods? Should they 'cave' to the kids' likes?

As guardians of our cats, we have an obligation to make informed decisions about what we choose to feed them......you can make an informed decision after you first get yourself educated about what's good and what's not good in feline nutrition........and, fish is not one of the goodies.

Here's an example of learning about feline nutrition - specifically about fish:

Quote:
Then What Kind of Fish Can I Feed My Cat? Aren't Cats Designed to Eat Fish?
It's true cats seem to love seafood meals, but it's weird because kitties didn't evolve to eat fish.

Your favorite feline's ancestors came from the deserts of Africa. They didn't hunt giant tuna – or anything else -- in the sea. Your kitty's natural prey are small furry land dwellers like mice.

Because cats seem to love fish and the people they own love feeding it to them even though it's not their natural prey, it could be why kitties fed a lot of canned tuna run an increased risk of acquiring squamous cell carcinoma.

But even though the natural diet of cats isn't seafood, they absolutely can get addicted to fish.

And in fact, kitties tend to become addicted to any protein they consume exclusively. Pet food companies are acutely aware of this phenomenon, which is why most cat food formulas are either fish or chicken based. These are the proteins cats most often form addictions to.

And fish, as it turns out, is one of the most highly allergenic foods for felines. Allergies cause systemic inflammation. Cats that eat allergenic foods over and over can end up with lung inflammation that can also lead to asthma. And of course asthma is one of the more commonly diagnosed inflammatory conditions in cats.

There also appears to be a link between mercury and asthma, and ethoxyquin and asthma, so it's easy to start to see the bigger picture with regard to diet-related inflammatory conditions.

Fish fed in high amounts can also lead to thiamine deficiency, which can cause loss of appetite, seizures, and even death.

Long-term ingestion of fish in cat food can also deplete vitamin E resources. Vitamin E deficiency can also cause a really painful condition called steatitis, which is yellow fat disease. If left untreated, steatitis can also be life-threatening.

Seafood is a very rich source of iodine, but cats aren't designed to process a lot of iodine. Many animal nutritionists, including me, believe there's a link between cats consuming too many iodine-rich foods and hyperthyroidism.

There's also been a link established between pop-top cans or canned cat food and hyperthyroidism.

Pet food companies are now introducing 'low-iodine' formulas for hyperthyroid cats. How about we just avoid feeding cats fish-based food instead? Avoiding foods high in iodine seems like a good way to prevent hyperthyroidism in kitties.

Last but not least, the magnesium content in fish has been linked to urinary tract diseases in cats. A diet overloaded with the mineral magnesium can predispose your kitty to magnesium ammonium phosphate crystals, also known as MAP crystals or struvite crystals. Crystals are a big problem for many, many cats.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...in-source.aspx
Now, if you'd rather watch than read, here you are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1HqviFeWWo

I'm sharing this because I hope that next time you have a chance to offer a point of view about this, it'll be a more informed one!