View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoly78 View Post
I don't think that an attack-to-kill response is fair on the part of the other dog. A dog should not be given the right to kill just anything that enters it's perceived territory. If the other dog had even gone as far as pinning mine to the ground until it was commanded to release it, I wouldn't have an issue and would have felt that it was an appropriate response. Immediately going for the kill by biting and shaking is not an appropriate first response for a dog to be allowed to have. It doesn't have as much to do with the size of the dog as it does with how aggressive it is.
What do you think it should do? Invite the intruder in for a drink at the water bowl?

This is a DOG. It doesn't think like a person, doesn't rationalize, doesn't think about the social ramifications of what it does. Your dog probably would have been more seriously injured had the shepherd "played" with him a bit before "going in for the kill".

Personally - I think you need to worry less about the dog next door and worry more about your own.