View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Having volunteered at shelters walking dogs and teaching them basic obedience etc.. I can tell you that MOST of the dogs in the shelters can behave the same way. The longer they are there the worse they get. There is nothing different from one breed to the other.

Unfortunately the larger breeds and a LOT of GSD's and GSDx's as well as pitties, black labs and huskies spend a lot of time in their cages or cells as I call them. This increases their behavioural problems and thus making them harder to get adopted.

The solution is to take them out of their cells more often, it's no fun in there...especially when there are ten twelve or more dogs barking whining growling snarling all around you. It would make ANYONE nervous, person or animal. Imagine their environment, how sad it is!

People are intimidated, don't want to take a chance, don't want to spend the time to come back several days in a row to let the dog get to know them.

If you locked me in a cell 24 hours a day fed me crap food and put me in a room with a bunch of other people screaming I may just fling my feces and urine all over the walls too!!

Let me out and I'd worship the ground you walk on!